D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

dave2008

Legend
Lets look at the clues:
We have seen nautaloids in BG3 and RotFM, but they are refluffed and plane traveling vessels. I expect to see a merged Planescape and Spelljammer setting.
That is what i was going to say, but you beat meet to it! I don't think we will get separate planescape and spelljammer settings, but combined planejammer type setting guide. I think that works great, IMO, but I am sure others will not like it.

Zsig

Explorer
My prediction would be Dark Sun, Spelljammer/Placescape and Ravenloft.

I think it's very unlikely for them to print a setting that's basically another Forgotten Realms but just with a handful different characters (or a setting that has been eaten by Forgotten Realms).

With the success of Curse of Strahd, it would be a shame for them not to explore Ravenloft in more detail. Barovia is just one of the many domains there.

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend
A planescape/spelljammer mashup wouldn't surprise me.

Otherwise, I got all excited the other day about the possibility of a Birthright comeback as vector to introduce mass combat and slow-pace games and whatnot, and while I think this would be a good fit for 5e, I'm not keeping my hope very high.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Dragonlance? I still reckon it had its chance in 3E and absolutely blew it. FR's absolutely dominated it in this day and age, and I don't know if its different enough to drag out in a big form when we're getting as few books released as we do. Especially because its view of Good and Evil would be torn to absolute shreds

Absolutely blew it? What on Earth are you talking about? Our product line under Sovereign Press was phenomenally successful. We released several dozen adventures, sourcebooks, and map kits during the 3.5 era. Some of my favourite design and development work.

Cheers,
Cam

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Our product line under Sovereign Press was phenomenally successful. We released several dozen adventures, sourcebooks, and map kits during the 3.5 era. Some of my favourite design and development work.
But then the animated cartoon came out and ah.

Y e a h.... I do feel for Dragonlance but that sort of, torpedoed its big media push at the time

Aldarc

Legend
FYI, they said D&D settings, and in addition to more MtG crossovers.
I kid, though I rather like the MtG settings. I hope for at least Planescape and Dark Sun. For the last option, the other settings can fight to the death cage match style. Other settings enter, one setting leaves.

But then the animated cartoon came out and ah.

Y e a h.... I do feel for Dragonlance but that sort of, torpedoed its big media push at the time
The D&D brand survived the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Pixelllance

Explorer
Yes Dragonlance had great Sourcebooks in 3e. Thanks Cam :)

For the present its hard to tell if DL makes it officially to 5e. A lot of references in the PHB and other newer books as in MToF. Why should they do this if they don't use it in the future in some way...( and Tracy's hint on FB a while ago ) but as said before a lot of pro and cons for all settings besides the inevitable DS...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases