D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
well we ve the cryptical now it begins FB statement of Tracy last year on the Dragonlance FB and that Actor Joe M seems to be a great fan, they did even official Dragonlance merch T shirt this year. But as you might conclude from my avatar : I am a wishful thinker regarding DL ;)

I used to be a fan, but I came to the conclusion that what I loved about the setting either had been lost or wasn't really there to begin with. Ah, well. All things pass.

Given how disappointed I was in the handling of Ravenloft in CoS, I'd suggest that everyone hoping for any setting revival be careful what they wish for. :)

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Imagine that. Other people getting stuff you’re not interested in! :rolleyes:

That being said, if one wanted to start a Greyhawk or a Known World campaign, they could use the old books and start playing right now.

...er...this is awkward...uh... it's actually the complete opposite of that. :)

The reason I don't want to see Greyhawk or Mystara on WotC's radar is because, simply put, nothing they've put out since the PHB/MM/DMG has interested me. None of their, hmmm... "creative roadmap" seems to be anywhere close to aligning with what I enjoy about D&D. So, uh, basically, I don't trust WotC to do it "right". I'd MUCH rather just keep on hearing about other DM's who use GH or the Known World (Mystara) for their games and how they've created stuff, adjusted rules, modified classes, etc...than to see WotC put out a GH book and then have people assume the stuff in the "New Greyhawk 5th Edition Setting".

Still...I guess you are right in that I'm being TOTALLY selfish...I'll admit to that... just for the opposite reason you thought. LOL! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'm pretty certain WotC will play this safe and go with the three most popular, and so far unreleased classic settings, being;

1. Ravenloft
2. Dark Sun
3. Planescape

In Wizard's own surveys, these are the top 3. That may have changed since then, but I doubt it. They also are all differentiated enough from "base D&D" that publishing a full setting book complete with lore, new DM rules, and new player rules, will be pretty easy (at least compared to something like Greyhawk).

You might also get some merging of settings into one book... I could see Planescape and Spelljammer sharing the same book, or Ravenloft and Innistrad in a "horror settings" book.

Ravenloft specifically has a huge slew of Domains of Dread beyond Barovia that haven't been looked at much in 5E, and the designers have mentioned how they want to revisit concepts like the Vistani.

And personally, although Greyhawk and Dragonlance are great, they make more sense as locations for adventure compilations in the vein of Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

We, or least most of us, can agree about Dark Sun as a safe bet.

My doubts are about Spelljammer, Planescape and Ravenloft. Dragonlance has got a great potential as multimedia franchise, but I guess WotC/Hasbro wants to know what it's the right way to produce a blockbuster media production.

If I say Ravenloft maybe I am wrong because it could be a sourcebook about Innistrad. Gothic horror is easier to be adapted into action-live movies. Today supernatural romance isn't so popular as any years ago but Ravenloft could be useful to sell novels for readers who know nothing about D&D. And I don't reject the possibilities of a Ravenloft-Innistrad crossover becaue the dark powers love to cause troubles in all corners of the multiverse, even worlds with modern technology, or in space-travelers civilitations.

Spelljammer could be used as franchise to sell toys by Hasbro. The background is enough open to can add a lot of new things, even fantasy version of Hasbro franchises as transformers, inhumanoids or Rom Spaceknight.

Planescape could return with a new videogame, maybe it will be the next after Baldur's Gate 3.

* I have got a theory about a future multiverse crysis event, and linked with Vecna, but with a relatively original story or plot.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Greyhawk is vanilla D&D style fantasy, doesn't really bring anything new to the multiverse that FR doesn't already provide, except new nations. Imo they should open up Greyhawk on the DMs Guild, and be done.

Domains of Dread (pocket universes)
Athas (psionics and cannibal halflings)
Sigil (planes and the blood war expanded; as well as potentially connecting to spelljamming)

That's where I'd focus my energies if I was god of D&D.

Hiya!

...er...this is awkward...uh... it's actually the complete opposite of that. :)

The reason I don't want to see Greyhawk or Mystara on WotC's radar is because, simply put, nothing they've put out since the PHB/MM/DMG has interested me. None of their, hmmm... "creative roadmap" seems to be anywhere close to aligning with what I enjoy about D&D. So, uh, basically, I don't trust WotC to do it "right". I'd MUCH rather just keep on hearing about other DM's who use GH or the Known World (Mystara) for their games and how they've created stuff, adjusted rules, modified classes, etc...than to see WotC put out a GH book and then have people assume the stuff in the "New Greyhawk 5th Edition Setting".

Still...I guess you are right in that I'm being TOTALLY selfish...I'll admit to that... just for the opposite reason you thought. LOL! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming
I’m deeply sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ludovino

Villager
I know I barely post but I feel the need to weigh in here.
I think most of us are looking at this from a player/DM perspective and not a Corporate build a brand perspective.

Its going to be:

Dark Sun
Dragon Lance
Some mash up of Spelljammer/Planescape

Dark Sun is always in the top for the surveys and remains the height of TSR's creative output. It was wildly different from the other settings and sets up a struggle vs evil dynamic that D&D as a brand is sorely lacking. If you were going to pitch a Forgotten Relams TV series or movie what would it be about? Dark Sun you have the Sorcerer Kings, climate change theme or rather climate ruined what can we do theme, struggle to survive the wild wastes (everyone agrees there is no real 5E exploration mechanic, I give you Dark Sun wandering) I think this is a no brainer.

Dragon Lance IS EVEN MORE set for good vs evil storytelling adventures. (You actually have good here unlike Dark Sun.) Soth is basically Vader. Raistlin is every emo wizard/jedi/whatever/character ever. Weiss and Hickman are women who legit made the setting. (These things matter these days.) Players riding Dragon Mounts with possible Dragon Mount PC side characters = the 2nd D in D&D. Also brand. This is even more of a no brainer than Dark Sun from a marketing perspective. Wouldn't be surprised to see Takhisis cast in a more favorable light here either to create "depth/grittiness."

Spelljammer is to wacky to be released alone. Planescape too weirdly highbrow. I think they will combine the settings somehow. Sigil as the hub. Spelljammer vessels sail out into the astral sea to wind up in other spaces. Mind Flayers everywhere.

I certainly wouldn't complain about that. I just don't have the same sense of nostalgia for Planescape as I do the Manual of the Planes. It's cool and all, but it doesn't hit me in the feels like that classic Easley cover to the MotP.

Take the Manual of the Planes, and add Sigil as a home base that's friendly to characters of all backgrounds and levels, add the gate towns, other planar metropolises like the City of Glass, City of Brass, and City of Dis, the factions and sects, etc. (maybe some other planar elements from later books like Union as well) and support for planar-oriented characters like Aasimar, Bariaur and Rogue Modrons, and you've got Planescape.

I love Greyhawk, but I agree that it doesn't diverge significantly enough from the Realms to make it as likely as some of the other options. The settings books Wizards has done to date have all had clear, identifiable hooks that make them distinct and different.

Greyhawk is vanilla D&D style fantasy, doesn't really bring anything new to the multiverse that FR doesn't already provide, except new nations. Imo they should open up Greyhawk on the DMs Guild, and be done.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases