D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
"Guidebook" might be overstating it, but it's here (and free):

There was some discussion/speculation on whether Birthright might be opened up for the DM's guild when it was released.

As much as I would love a new Birthright book, that setting barely even shows up on the survey results. Besides, you can run a Birthright game using the following system with far better results than 5e will get you:

Mercurius

Legend
Imo:

Almost givens: Planescape and Dark Sun
Possible: Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Dragonlance
Unlikely but maybe: Ravenloft, Mystara, Birthright
No chance: Everything else

Last edited:

Zarithar

Adventurer
Not another setting exactly - but I am thinking they may explore other parts of the Realms. I'm hoping for Kara Tur personally. I think Planescape is almost a given with all the hints of it scattered about recently in Rime and BG3 (and even going further back).

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Wizards has been awfully silent about anything and everything to do with Greyhawk, and given the drama going on with Gail Gygax and folks from the OSR crowd, I'd bet we don't see anything Greyhawk any time soon, if ever.

So I'll just repost what I said on Twitter:

It'll be guides for Mulhorand, The Sea of Fallen Stars, and Shadowdale.

Remathilis

Legend
Sure but FR is much more than the Sword Coast. By that reasoning, it might be the Forgotten Realms!

More like if they released Icewind Dale and then said "we've covered the most famous area, we're done now".

Even if they don't release a full setting book, it'd be cool to see some other domains done in some fashion, be it an anthology or a gazetteer/adventure again.

Agree with this, except not at all my wish list. Dark Sun yes, rest no

What would be your other 2 to picks then?

Everyone keeps mentioning a combined Planescape - Spelljammer
I like the idea of a multiclass setting. :)

If that was the case I’d be keen on more Ravenloft as well.
Personally, I’ve never met a campaign setting I didn’t like. So I’m pretty easy to please on this one.

Chronos96

Explorer
I'd say the most likely contenders are Spelljammer, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft. The reason I don't think Planescape is likely is that the main idea of the elemental planes has kind of been made into a vanilla concept in the cosmology at this point. Yeah, there's Sigil and the smaller planes like the plane of lightning. I do think it's likely that it will be 4th place but I also think it's the most likely to be left out.

Ravenloft on the other hand is so much more than just Strahd and Barovia, there's something like thirty-plus other domains of dread and other creatures like the shadow fey.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases