D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years. This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though. The video below is an 11-hour video, but the...

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

WotC can also publish modules based in Sigil before the end of the faction war, or this has become secret, or this is continuing in the gate-towns.

If FR as guest artist in Magic: the Gathering works, we could see more D&D worlds, even not so famous, for example a reboot of Jakandor.

If WotC allows the concept of time sphere/uchrony/parallel world fandom could publish in DM Guild lots of alternate timelines for Dragonlance.

I guess the first step for the return of Dragonlance would be a compilation of the updated version of the modules, but my hypothesis is it will not arrive alone but with othe title, maybe a media production or a videogame. A reboot of Dragonlance could be too risky and to cause the rage by the fandom.

They also want the return of Greyhawk but they don't feel to be enough ready yet.

Iomandra, the world based in Councyl of Wyrms could become canon in a future.

Maybe Spelljammer as setting wouldn't come back yet, but only some pieces, as PC races and monsters.

A fusion of Planescape and Spelljamer may be linked with the Astral Sea

* Sometimes I think Hasbro would dare to publish a crossover (Spelljammer?)D&D-Beast Wars (Transformers spin-off). I notice it's a fool idea, but al least to imagine it is fun.

Coroc

Hero
You're not going to find me arguing against excluding races from settings. What you leave out is just as important as what you put in. But for some people it's a deal-breaker. Of the seven mentioned above, of the four settings that aren't catch-alls only Greyhawk has drow. Dragonlance, Mystara and Birthright don't have them. From my experience writing Mystara that's a major no-no. Every setting has to have every option or you're doing it wrong. Even if you explain that the race/class isn't a good fit. For Mystara it already has the gurral, cammas, kazzak, wallaru, sis-thik and carnifex as humanoid reptilian races. Makes the Dragonborn redundant. But I've gotten pushback for mentioning that.

Your list was so complete and comprehensive, do not get into a defensive position to cater to people who got the "all races must be included i nevery official setting" -glasses on. I can see you have a different opinion in the second sentence of this post, so stand for it.

Maybe there is a good reason to explain the "reboot" of Ravenloft, a time-loop caused by the dark powers, and even some troubles because some dark-lords could send other people for time-travel.

I believe that a good reboot of Ravenloft could start from Curse of Strahd. Our heroes defeat the devil Strahd, although temporarly, Dark Powers feel the needs to readjust because of that and a reboot start. This make Curse of Strahd convergent and could be a way to attract those players who were enthusiast of the previous adventure.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
ISo if you are truly trying to find what is "canon" (and I do not recommend this, as canon has little meaning in D&D) only material that is published in 5E is worth taken seriously; everything published before has dubious accuracy in "canon" terms.

You misundertand. I don't care about canon, and I don't care about 5th Edition. I love the old Ravenloft setting, and found the version presented in Curse of Strahd severely underwhelming in comparison. The only thing that annoys me is the misconception or pretense that CoS is the same thing as the old setting. I don't object to them doing their own thing, even if I don't like how they did it, but let's not pretend it's something that it's not.

Last edited:

The Glen

Legend
Your list was so complete and comprehensive, do not get into a defensive position to cater to people who got the "all races must be included i nevery official setting" -glasses on. I can see you have a different opinion in the second sentence of this post, so stand for it.
I'm not being defensive I'm being realistic. There's a lot of people that will complain that certain settings don't have the race they want to play. And wizards seems to be including the new races in settings that either didn't have them or predate them like putting Dragonborn in saltmarsh.

Personally I think that's a mistake, but it does seem to be a prerequisite based on past materials. That being said the new head of D&D seems to be moving away from previous pattern so that makes me hopeful. Anything that gets me mystara faster is a good thing.

Last edited:

I would bet WotC notices selling sourcebooks with new PC races are harder if DMs don't allow these in previous setting. An explanation could be they aren't from the same world but the same crystal sphere and their ancestors arrived by a space helm. Other way it may be there are time spheres or parallel worlds where other PC races are more common among the rest of the core races. Maybe they are from a post-apocalypse world who found a portal toward Sigil and from here they traveled to other worlds looking for a new homw.

Why players want "exotic" PC races as dragonborn and tielflings? Because it's as wearing monster costumes for Halloween night.

The Glen

Legend
Another thing that you're going to have to address is the fact that TSR nuked most of the settings before they went way in an attempt to try to change up the world to boost sales. This was generally regarded as a terrible idea as it took away what made so many of the settings popular.

Planescape was known as the multiplanar Freakshow partially because of the art. But it was also well-regarded because it had all of the inter factional internecine sniping that caused most of the conflict in Sigil. Then the lady of pain kicks them all out of the city and suddenly the major source of conflict is gone.

Mystara did this with its cold war vibe as the two largest empires could squash everybody else lile bugs but were too evenly matched to defeat each other without destroying themselves. Then Wrath hits and Alphatia's gone and Thyatis is a shell of itself. No more cold war and again the major source of conflict is removed.

If you're going to bring the settings back you have to bring them back when they were at their most popular because that's what people wanted. We remember them at their peak. Planescape without factions and mystara without a cold war are boring. The same holds true for the other ones as well

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
I would bet WotC notices selling sourcebooks with new PC races are harder if DMs don't allow these in previous setting. An explanation could be they aren't from the same world but the same crystal sphere and their ancestors arrived by a space helm. Other way it may be there are time spheres or parallel worlds where other PC races are more common among the rest of the core races. Maybe they are from a post-apocalypse world who found a portal toward Sigil and from here they traveled to other worlds looking for a new homw.

Why players want "exotic" PC races as dragonborn and tielflings? Because it's as wearing monster costumes for Halloween night.
no it's because they get benefits and the DM's don't enact the consequences of thier race enough in the games. I'm playing in a game now the Assimar Paladin has been trying to be low key and under the radar but simply can't , everyone know she has blood of the heavens, w'eve got a fetchling who no one trusts because she looks wierd, and after 8 levels the Half orc is finally sloooowly starting to gain acceptance. If more DM's treated those races right I think there would be less of them. A tiefling, once everyone knows you are hell touched should be ostracized, and possibly even have entire churches trying to kill them.

I feel that eventually they should try to have a campaign setting that touches on the "Flintlock Fantasy" genre. I remember there was an free online Savage Coast Campaign guide which is part of Mystara, that did touch a little on the genre. So I guess if one wants to distinguish Mystara from the other settings, they could just try emphasizing Flintlock Fantasy, though that might require advancing a timeline and some metaplot to have it in the rest of setting.

But they could just as readily try making a completely new campaign setting too for the Flintlock Fantasy genre, as I don't think there's a single D&D or Magic the Gathering setting that is fully in that genre.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads