D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years. This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though. The video below is an 11-hour video, but the...

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

Remathilis

Legend
I’ll never understand why anyone would look at every opportunity to reduce the number of options available to players and DMs.
People get wrapped up in the Paradox of Choice and think more options dilute the options available. Specifically, this forum has taken removing player options and turned it to an art form
Designers, writers, and editors are not free, and page counts are finite. Every option that goes in means something else gets left out.
Yup, without gnomes and halflings, we'd have more room for warforged, aasimar, tabaxi, goliaths, orcs, goblins or tritons in the PHB .

Nymrod

Explorer
People get wrapped up in the Paradox of Choice and think more options dilute the options available. Specifically, this forum has taken removing player options and turned it to an art formYup, without gnomes and halflings, we'd have more room for warforged, aasimar, tabaxi, goliaths, orcs, goblins or tritons in the PHB .

And now you mentioned Tritons and you reminded me that my favourite setting would be an FR book entirely focused on the Seros.

Dausuul

Legend
Yup, without gnomes and halflings, we'd have more room for warforged, aasimar, tabaxi, goliaths, orcs, goblins or tritons in the PHB .
Yes, exactly. Or some new subclasses, or a warlord class, or do-it-yourself lineage rules, or any number of things. Or a smaller PHB with a lower price point. And each of those things would have to be considered in the same light: What are we giving up to make room for this?

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Here's what I'm hoping for... A Planescape setting book, a Dark Sun adventure book, and a Spelljammer adventure book.

The Dark Sun adventure could be focused on rising up from level 1 and taking on a sorcerer king. You could do a 1-12 adventure on that.

The Spelljammer adventure would lean ont he Planescape setting doing... I don't know what. But you could push most of the Spelljammer-specific rules into an appendix.

That's what I hope they do.

Nymrod

Explorer
Here's what I'm hoping for... A Planescape setting book, a Dark Sun adventure book, and a Spelljammer adventure book.

The Dark Sun adventure could be focused on rising up from level 1 and taking on a sorcerer king. You could do a 1-12 adventure on that.

The Spelljammer adventure would lean ont he Planescape setting doing... I don't know what. But you could push most of the Spelljammer-specific rules into an appendix.

That's what I hope they do.
All I need from Spelljammer is an adventure in a dwarven forge asteroid that seems abandoned and is infested by Wooly Rupert, the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, his Tyrannohamsterus Rex bodyguards and assortment of other misbegotten tinker gnome creations. Rime seems great but if you want horror, give us a proper Alien/Aliens adventure

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
Halflings that aren't hobbits really don't have much of a niche, either. Really, none of the short races are especially valuable and can probably be jettisoned.
I liked the nomadic halflings of 3e, particularly when drawn a little bit farther with the dino-riders of Eberron. That's a way better niche for them than hobbit, and one of the things I disliked most about 5e was the return of the hobbit as the default halfling (that, and the bit about some races being inherently evil because the gods made them that way).

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
D20 Modern?
While D20 Modern used 3rd Edition's D20 system as it's base, it's still it's own system, not just a D&D campaign setting.

That said, I do wish they'd release a D20 Modern 2nd Edition. Especially if they kept the "simple classes, lots of multi-classing" part of character building.

Nymrod

Explorer
While D20 Modern used 3rd Edition's D20 system as it's base, it's still it's own system, not just a D&D campaign setting.

That said, I do wish they'd release a D20 Modern 2nd Edition. Especially if they kept the "simple classes, lots of multi-classing" part of character building.
Practically speaking, much of Ravenloft is also human only.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads