• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 3 PC parties -- too small? Just right?

Skyscraper

Explorer
Only 3 PCs is great. Even 4 starts to be a lot. 2 is not quite enough, you don't have that "group" feeling. 3 means everyone gets to do a lot of stuff.

redrick

First Post
I think 3 committed and all-around engaged players with 3 PCs would make for a great campaign.

I ran 6 sessions with just one player in 4e last year and had a really good time. I got to focus entirely on that one PC, and taylor the adventures to her character's goals, strengths and weaknesses. The downsides were that low-level combat was almost impossible without an NPC companion, and that I needed to be talking almost the whole time. There was never a moment where the player could turn to another player and discuss strategy, or soundboard ideas about what the NPC's crazy plot was, or just roleplay some goofy rivalry or camaraderie. Instead, the PC would turn to her NPC companion. Voiced by me.

So 3 PCs seems like a lot of fun! And I also think there's a lot to be said for an "un-balanced" party. Characters will have to step outside of their comfort zones on take on roles that they might not be perfectly suited to. I played in a session the other night with 6 PCs, but no heavy armored types, so the two rogues became the front line, dodging in and out while the cowardly rangers rained arrows from behind. We got lucky, but we also enjoyed ourselves.

remotenemesis

First Post
I played in our regular Adventurers' League Encounters game with two other PC's for a brief time. Paladin, Druid and Bard worked quite well as a micro-party. We added a Sorcerer and never looked back.

I think 5e encourages blurring of traditional party roles with the broad range of sub-classes.

Remove ads