• 3.5 D&D (with Late Splat)

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Pathfinder (Core Only)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Pathfinder (with Splat)

Votes: 15 21.7%

sheadunne

Explorer
I'm am curious about people's preferences with regard to 3.x/PF and their preference within it. I realize that these categories won't encompass all the options, but it gets at the general nature of the game.

I think I enjoy 3.5 with late splat the best.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Can we have a multi option? I like 3.5 better, but I'm neutral at core only or including all kind of splat. Core only is fine and fun, but my favorite classes shine the best once Miniatures handbook, Complete Adventurer, complete mage, complete scoundrel and some dragon articles enter in the picture. (And I love some of the spell compendium spells)

PF has some good points, I like in part what they did to sorcerers, but rogues and bards are too weak and fiddly for my tastes. (And feel they missed the chance of making paladins spontaneous), and I don't approve of the crazy buffs they did to wizards (the spells nerfing is ok though)

sheadunne

Explorer
That's part of the difficulty of the poll. We all probably like some elements or bits and pieces from various sources, but on the whole, where do we lean? I currently play PF with all splat but I actually prefer 3.5 with all splat, especially the later stuff. If you could only run one, which would it be?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's part of the difficulty of the poll. We all probably like some elements or bits and pieces from various sources, but on the whole, where do we lean? I currently play PF with all splat but I actually prefer 3.5 with all splat, especially the later stuff. If you could only run one, which would it be?
3.5 minus lots of core. 3 ToB classes, the Scout, Beguiler, Warmage, (buffed) Healer, Warlock, + lots of alternative class features like PHB2 and Unearthed Arcana is pretty much perfect 3.5 to me.

Ragmon

Explorer
Hmm, the Early and Late splat options are interesting (its confusing), I don't diferenciate between them.
When I get to DM, I go with: 3.5 + all splats + erratas (official only) + updates for 3rd ed books (official only).

Razjah

Explorer
I chose Pathfinder core only. I really prefer to use the APG, but I am lukewarm about the Ultimate [Thing] books. Then again, I really enjoy E6 games, so these choices are restricted further by cutting out most of the high level stuff.

Greg K

Legend
None of the choices.

My favorite is a mix of 3.0 and 3.5 core along with the following requirements:
1) using some of the variants from the 3.0 DMG , Unearthed Arcana and the Cityscape Enhancement I.
2) Banning almost everything else WOTC with the exception of the following:
a) a handful of class variants, equipment, feats, spells, and magic items
b) the OA Shaman;
c) Heroes of Horror;
d. some monster books (e.g. Fiend Folio, Fiendish Codex 1); and
e) the environment books.

3) Using some 3rd party material and products including some bits from Pathfinder.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I went with 3.5e core only. PF is probably the better game, but I've never felt it was "better enough" to justify ditching all the acquired systems mastery that I have with the earlier edition. If I was going to do that, my preference would be to go for something much more rules light.

Sadly, I've found that the splat material for the edition isn't too good. It's not that it's all overpowered - on the contrary, some of the worst offenders are right there in the PHB - but rather opening up the splats causes the number of possible combinations to explode, and some of those are very badly broken (especially when combined with the PHB Cleric, Druid, or Wizard).

Ranes

Adventurer
3.5 with all sorts of idiosyncratic exceptions and inclusions from other sources (including some 3.0). However, with the greatest of respect to PF enthusiasts, I would point out that my preference stems from having had such a good time with all the 3.x stuff at my disposal before PF came out that I've never played (or read much) PF. My preference is therefore not based on any comparison between the two.

I don't doubt that PF is good: I still get a lot of use and good tips from Paizo's Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
...- but rather opening up the splats causes the number of possible combinations to explode, and some of those are very badly broken (especially when combined with the PHB Cleric, Druid, or Wizard).
cough...cough....Divine Metamagic....cough.... :)

Remove ads