Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Pathfinder (Core Only)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Pathfinder (with Splat)

Votes: 15 21.7%

JeffB

Legend
If I had to play BTB, 3.0 core.

But I like rules elements from all of them, and on the rare occasions I run 3.x, I pull some things from 3.5 and PF.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
But I love Divine Metamagic. :)
Oh, I love it too! I just don't take it because everyone in my group already knows I'm a power gamer. :) Besides, turn attempts can always power Devotion feats from Complete Champion. (Although not optimal, I love the Chaos Devotion feat from that book. Rolling a 5, than power attacking is great fun.)

sheadunne

Explorer
Oh, I love it too! I just don't take it because everyone in my group already knows I'm a power gamer. :) Besides, turn attempts can always power Devotion feats from Complete Champion. (Although not optimal, I love the Chaos Devotion feat from that book. Rolling a 5, than power attacking is great fun.)

That's the way we usually go as well. We all know the really really good stuff and we usually make the choice to not take it or find a way to use it non-optimally. It's hard though, knowing it's there :)

We had a group that was primarily spellcaster, and all of us had the "alter fortune" spell. There were a million re-rolls in that game. After that, we didn't play with it quite as much.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Well, the beauty of the OGL is that you don't have to choose. I mix my 3.5 with a fair amount of PF and plenty of other things.

But if I had to choose for some reason, I'd take 3.5 with the full range of supplements. There's some dumb stuff in there, but enough good that it's easy to let the bad go.

Remathilis

Legend
What's the cut-off point for early/late splat?

My last 3.5 game used the core rules, PHB2, DMG2, MM 3, the Complete Books, Expanded Psionics, Eberron, Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium. We did not want, or use, Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, Incarnum, etc. I'm not sure where that falls.

Currently, I'm running PF+Splat, but I actually liked the feel of the game I ran above a bit more.

lutecius

Explorer
What about heavily houseruled 3.5? Does Unearthed Arcana (Armor as damage reduction and spell point variants) count as splat?

Core 3.5 is certainly what we use the most but I probably wouldn't play it as written.
Pathfinder is full of interesting ideas to steal but it doesn't really resolve my issues with 3.x

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
3.5 with mixed splat selection.

This.

The true choice is not between early splat and late splat but crappy splat and non-crappy splat.

The reason I didn't choose either of the Pathfinder options was not because I don't like Pathfinder but it's because, after running 4E for a while, if I was going back to 3.xE I wouldn't want to be learning the new PF updates. Then again, Mythic Adventures keeps trying to make me make a Will save against its siren call....

Remove ads