D&D 5E #30 in Books?!?! The PHB is STILL rocking

Hussar

Legend
That's freaking unbelievable. As I write this, the 5e PHB, a five year old book, is sitting at #30 on Amazon. HOLY CRAP. That's just... stunning.

Just to put that in perspective, I didn't check them all, but, I checked many of the top 30 books, and, other than one, (5 Love Langugages), NONE of the top 30 books were published before 2018.

Looks like we won't be seeing a new edition any time soon.

gyor

Legend
That's freaking unbelievable. As I write this, the 5e PHB, a five year old book, is sitting at #30 on Amazon. HOLY CRAP. That's just... stunning.

Just to put that in perspective, I didn't check them all, but, I checked many of the top 30 books, and, other than one, (5 Love Langugages), NONE of the top 30 books were published before 2018.

Agreed. Not for another 5-10 years.

Anoth

Adventurer
I will say. I think this is the easiest version of d&d to pick up, create a character and play. and I played them all.

happyhermit

Adventurer
IIRC D&D books tend to get drown out in Christmas shopping season, I bet there are a lot of people (especially young ones) cashing in gift cards to buy these.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

5 Love Languages is a very helpful book.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Agreed. Not for another 5-10 years.

It’s why I don’t put too much stock into the “It’s been five years and I don’t have my very niche supplement yet! Or at least how I want it to be!” gnashing and nail biting.

We have several knowns: the release schedule is much slower than any other edition, so while previous editions barfed out a ton of material really fast, 5e isn’t doing that. We also know there is currently no slow down in 5e popularity in that five years, so there’s little incentive for WoTC to barf out a ton of supplements. And then we also know that WoTC gave us the DM’s Guild to fill niches they wouldn’t address for the above reasons.

If there are 100 things on the docket, and 5e releases 10 a year when other editions released 50 a year, that’s important, and why you can’t really compare released content by year for each edition; it’s apples and oranges. Not just with the actual release schedule (because the priority can be the exact same, it’s just the release of products is slower), but with other outside factors of what was going on at the time.

I don’t have my shaman class. But I don’t think WoTC is forsaking me or anything. I understand the business approach going on. And since I am pretty confident 5e will be around for at least another 5 years, it’s too early for me to say it will never be addressed.

dave2008

Legend
It’s why I don’t put too much stock into the “It’s been five years and I don’t have my very niche supplement yet! Or at least how I want it to be!” gnashing and nail biting.

We have several knowns: the release schedule is much slower than any other edition, so while previous editions barfed out a ton of material really fast, 5e isn’t doing that. We also know there is currently no slow down in 5e popularity in that five years, so there’s little incentive for WoTC to barf out a ton of supplements. And then we also know that WoTC gave us the DM’s Guild to fill niches they wouldn’t address for the above reasons.

If there are 100 things on the docket, and 5e releases 10 a year when other editions released 50 a year, that’s important, and why you can’t really compare released content by year for each edition; it’s apples and oranges. Not just with the actual release schedule (because the priority can be the exact same, it’s just the release of products is slower), but with other outside factors of what was going on at the time.

I don’t have my shaman class. But I don’t think WoTC is forsaking me or anything. I understand the business approach going on. And since I am pretty confident 5e will be around for at least another 5 years, it’s too early for me to say it will never be addressed.
Well that is a level-headed take you don't hear a lot on these forums. Thanks!

Hussar

Legend
For quite some time, it was complaints about not having enough small modules. That seems to have died down, particularly with things like DM's Guild pumping out hundreds of modules for 5e. Then we have the "5e doesn't have enough player supplements", which also seems to have died down in the face of Xanathar's and a couple of other books.

Folks do seem to have finally accepted that 5e is going to hold onto the 3-5 books per year thing.

Remove ads