D&D 5E 30 speed for all! Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves were feeling left behind?

Do you think halflings, gnomes and dwarves should have 25 or 30 speed in D&D Next?

• They should have their classic speeds of 25 to reflect their diminutive stature.

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • They should have 30 speed as well as humans, because ...(post rationale below)

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I don't care either way, D&D Next can do no wrong / right and they can continue doing so.

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Poll closed .

herrozerro

First Post
I think racial stats should be something that really differentiates races as a whole. Are shorter people as a whole slower than taller people? perhaps on average, but then again should we have short humans have a speed penalty against taller humans? Should something that is largely a flavor stat (something really only used in high jump reach) be a metric of how fast a race is as a whole?

Where stats like strength and dex probably mean much more as a metric, I think we have better options to base speed off of. I could see a base speed of all humanoids as 30' and perhaps use strength or dex modifiers to give bonuses or penalties to speed. maybe even con. perhaps you get a bonus or penalty to your speed of the average modifiers of your physical stats?

Then again, [MENTION=2205]Hobo[/MENTION], wouldn't it be simpler just to start from the same baseline? Sure, that means that unmodified, a dwarf and a human move the same speed. If you want sprinters, then there should be stuff you can add on to get that speed boost. Otherwise, all things being equal, everyone moves at roughly the same speed, since it likely isn't going to come up all that often.

That being said, I would LOVE some decent chase mechanics. That would make me happy.
I dunno; I guess it depends on what the chase mechanics would look like. There's a lot of variables, and anyone who spends any time looking into the biometrics of stuff like this will find it quickly becomes more complex than is manageable. I find it interesting that a large sauropod is estimated, from footprints and skeletons, to walk at the same speed as a person, more or less. Despite the obviously great difference in size. It's a perennial topic of dinosaur debate if a T. rex could outrun a person or not--with the most pessimistic giving you very poor odds with very fast top speeds for the big dino, and others saying that the big guy was a lumbering giant who you could almost certainly outrun. (What his has to do with anything is, of course, anyone's guess, unless you've been hired specifically to consult on a Jurassic Park movie.)

So I think focusing on size may be wrong from a biomechanical standpoint, and as you say, probably too complicated anyway. Rather; going with what "feels" right within reason is probably the best result, and to me, at least, the shorter races being at a slight disadvantage in terms of speed "feels right." This doesn't mean that the halfling pickpocket can't outrun the big half-orc fighter when he gets caught red-handed, but it does mean that in order to do so, he probably needs to have some kind of situational advantage due to terrain, a "sprinting feat", the half-orc is wearing heavy armor, or friendly dice, or something. All other things being equal, I'd assume that the larger person could eventually overtake the smaller.

aboniks

First Post
I'm playing a gnome. He's identically slow in relation to all other gnomes, because the numbers say he is. The justification for this is largely irrelevant to me, but I willfully suspend disbelief so many times per second while gaming that it's just one more drop in the bucket. Because...well, he's not only slower than a fat asthmatic peg-legged human, but he can also speak seven imaginary languages, intimidate giants, and kill people with his mind.

I from what I've seen of Next, it seems like a lot of the changes are intended to simplify the experience, on a variety of levels.In my view, that's a grand and worthy goal, both from a business perspective, and as a player. Even 3.5 was, lets face it, intimidatingly complex and confusing for a new player. Most of my gaming experience was in 2e...which I understood well. Then a few years later I landed in a 3.5 game and it took me three hours to make a character.

Fast forward now to Pathfinder many years later, and I find myself with a multiclass character so complex that I have to program spreadsheets and build 20 page word docs full of notes just to keep track of what my character can do, what he'll be able to do next, and what I wanted him to be able to do five levels from now.

If I left it until it was time to level up to figure out his level progression, our gaming group would never get any time to gain XP, the gold-standard for "realistic" gaming mechanisms (he said with eyes a'rolling).

The complexity issue is largely self inflicted, of course, both by the developers (in the quest for eternal revenue), and by the players (in our quest for bright shiny new things, larger numbers, and fabulous loot).

Honestly, I won't be giving any more of my money to WoTC regardless of the specifics of Next, because my group is already heavily invested (financially and mentally) in Pathfinder. But, that being said, if Pathfinder went ahead and and equalized all PC movement rates tomorrow it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Not because I want a faster gnome (I'll have one soon anyway, he's a monk) or because I think short imaginary critters should be as fast as tall imaginary critters, but because trying to assert realism in regards to individual character abilities within a game system like this is an exercise in diminishing fun returns.

Yes, stat-based movement speeds would be more realistic. So would encumbrance rules. So would distinguishing between the movement, balance, combat and tumbling effects of wearing 60 pounds of plate armor, or carrying 60 pounds of enchanted bananas in a sack in one hand, while casting magic missile on a tight-rope, and drunk. And how fast can I move with only one shoe, a migraine, while wearing a rucksack with an angry shadow mastiff stuffed headfirst into it?

So to wind down the ramble; for this player (and erstwhile DM), all the books and rules, modifiers and calculations, are just a means to an end...and that end is not a reality simulation. The systems will never be perfect. When the developers make a change you don't like, just ignore it, or change it back, or paint it purple, stick horns on it, and turn it into something shiny for your players. The rules in the books will never reflect reality as accurately as they might.

But that's the point of playing these games, isn't it? Creativity, flexibility, and most importantly, in my opinion, storytelling. If the rules were a perfect reflection of reality, we'd all end up sitting down together on a Saturday night to eat pizza and itemize our tax returns. Unless there's a prestige class for actuaries in the upcoming Low-Risk Indoor Respectable Professions of Faerun sourcebook, I don't think (m)any of us really want to do that.

If I have to count beans, they'd better damn well be magic ones.

Last edited:

Remove ads