D&D 5E 30 speed for all! Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves were feeling left behind?

Do you think halflings, gnomes and dwarves should have 25 or 30 speed in D&D Next?

• They should have their classic speeds of 25 to reflect their diminutive stature.

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • They should have 30 speed as well as humans, because ...(post rationale below)

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I don't care either way, D&D Next can do no wrong / right and they can continue doing so.

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Poll closed .

herrozerro

First Post
Read the original post. My problem was that they never polled us after making this stealth change long after the public survey data had been collected.

Don't roll your eyes at me, you're completely off the reservation here. They NEVER polled us about this change, that's why I created this entire thread.

Of course since you don't like the results, you attempt to minimize their importance. Some data is better than no data, all I want is for them to issue an official poll on their own website, or use the results from this one, and revert this stupid change for no reason that nobody asked for.

They also didn't poll about a lot of things. This isn't a game designed by majority. It's a playtest in which they are asking for feedback on specific items. And if I recall correctly you can write in at the end with comments as well.

They are free to ask for feedback on anything they want, and ignore anything they want. Just because they didn't poll something as insignificant as this doesn't mean their methods are flawed.

Wulfgar76

First Post
May Gorgoroth's stubby speed 25 legs bear him off to a far green country, and a swift sunrise.

Mod Note: I'll take this as an opportunity to ask folks to resist the urge to take potshots at those who cannot defend themselves. Thanks, all. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I would argue that with the original poster gone, there's not much point to the thread staying open, either. The only thing it and its very biased options really served is to stir up argument and discord instead of actual discussion - i didnt bother to vote for that reason, anyway.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

I don't know. Again, I'm not disagreeing that closing rates are frequently irrelevant. Just not always.

/snip

Fair enough. I think that was my point anyway. Like I said, it doesn't come up that often, so, do we really need to make a mechanical difference here?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would argue that with the original poster gone, there's not much point to the thread staying open, either. The only thing it and its very biased options really served is to stir up argument and discord instead of actual discussion - i didnt bother to vote for that reason, anyway.

With a permaban from it, I think folks will have learned to keep it civil. If the discussion doesn't have merit, it'll now just die a quiet death, and that will be telling, I think.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I like tactical movement, so I like variable speeds.

But that doesn't mean it should be size based, to me.

Halfling can have a speed of 40 if they want, its all about fun instead of physics to me.

e: And Hobo is dead on with the polling issues. Stats are a big part of what *I* do for a living, so...
I don't anymore, but I do have a degree in econometrics. I'd like to think I remember some of that, at least. I'm the only one at work who occasionally talks about endogeneity problems in our HR administered employee satisfaction polls anyway, which probably just really annoys HR. (I don't think they know what endogeneity problems are, by the way.) :)

On topic; although my initial take on this isssue was "who cares?" because the tactical implications are pretty modest, at best, the more I think about it, the more I think that relative speed for chase sequences is something that I'd really like to see. And in that regard, I absolutely do agree that dwarves, at least, and possibly the other small races, should be at a slight disadvantage. Other factors could mitigate it (high DEX, levels in a class that allows for increasing speed a la 3e barbarian, feats that allow characters to run faster, etc.) but at the same time, the notion of a dwarf sprinter seems like it should be unusual, not routine.

Hussar

Legend
Then again, [MENTION=2205]Hobo[/MENTION], wouldn't it be simpler just to start from the same baseline? Sure, that means that unmodified, a dwarf and a human move the same speed. If you want sprinters, then there should be stuff you can add on to get that speed boost. Otherwise, all things being equal, everyone moves at roughly the same speed, since it likely isn't going to come up all that often.

That being said, I would LOVE some decent chase mechanics. That would make me happy.

Remove ads