• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 30 speed for all! Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves were feeling left behind?

Do you think halflings, gnomes and dwarves should have 25 or 30 speed in D&D Next?

• They should have their classic speeds of 25 to reflect their diminutive stature.

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • They should have 30 speed as well as humans, because ...(post rationale below)

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I don't care either way, D&D Next can do no wrong / right and they can continue doing so.

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Poll closed .

herrozerro

First Post
First link: All things being equal -- body mass, flexibility, proportionality and stride rate -- then taller people can run faster than shorter people.
So as long as you do not calculate the speed out of the attributes, which according to those links have a big impact on running speed, having people twice as large also being faster is correct.

I posted both links to show unbias. Here is a quote from the second.

The best runners are small and light, with slim legs. “If you have large legs, you have to move a big load,” Dr. Secher said. “The smaller you are, the better you are.”

There seem to be conflicting opinions.

Derren

Hero
Because you're up in arms about halflings running 30' to 60' in 6 seconds. Which is way slower than the very numbers you yourself provided as a metric.

Then, assuming that you are actually interested in the discussion which I doubt, you should reread this thread as it is not about the exact movement speed of halflings but about the existence of a speed difference (or rather the apparent lack of it in 5E) for races with vastly different sizes but very similar physiology.

Btw, you know what is funny? That some people claim that this is no big deal but then react violently when someone suggests that this is a unnecessary change.

I posted both links to show unbias. Here is a quote from the second.

The best runners are small and light, with slim legs. “If you have large legs, you have to move a big load,” Dr. Secher said. “The smaller you are, the better you are.”

There seem to be conflicting opinions.

Yes, although the 2nd link talks about long distance running.

Obryn

Hero
Then, assuming that you are actually interested in the discussion which I doubt, you should reread this thread as it is not about the exact movement speed of halflings but about the existence of a speed difference (or rather the apparent lack of it in 5E) for races with vastly different sizes but very similar physiology.
We're talking about Next's movement rates. Halflings in Next are way slower than actual athletic people with dwarfism in real life where it's considered an actual physical disability and you think it's too fast.

herrozerro

First Post

Btw, you know what is funny? That some people claim that this is no big deal but then react violently when someone suggests that this is a unnecessary change.

Yes, although the 2nd link talks about long distance running.

So let's give the a combat movement penalty but an overland bonus.

Derren

Hero
We're talking about Next's movement rates. Halflings in Next are way slower than actual athletic people with dwarfism in real life where it's considered an actual physical disability and you think it's too fast.

And guess what, humans in Next are also way slower than actual athletic people. So lets simply double the movement rate (or double the square size) and we are back to the original point of small races somehow being as fast as medium races.

But nice try of distracting from the thread topic.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
No kidding. Everything is about being the custodians of true d&d.

It was the actual designers of D&D Next who claimed to hold themselves as "custodians of D&D", not I.

Then they go and make all races have the same speed.

Without consulting anyone.

When no one has ever complained about their 25 speed, during the entire playtest.

And suddenly it's important to make this change.

Yeah right. No custodian worthy of that title makes needless changes just for the sake of change. I guess you'd know this since you are a person in charge of a franchise worth millions if not billions, and are responsible for every little change you put into it going forward, as setting precedent for the future.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
And guess what, humans in Next are also way slower than actual athletic people. So lets simply double the movement rate (or double the square size) and we are back to the original point of small races somehow being as fast as medium races.

But nice try of distracting from the thread topic.
Nope, because I - and I mean this quite entirely seriously - could give a fig less what the movement speeds of Halflings and Dwarves are in Next.

I just think it's funny you posted numbers that show 30' is nothing to get excited about in raw numbers. If you want to complain that halflings are actually too slow - and that humans are, too - go right ahead. But since Next's actual movement rates are very low for real-world people who don't even get to go and fight dragons, it's an odd place to hang your hat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads