• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 30 speed for all! Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves were feeling left behind?

Do you think halflings, gnomes and dwarves should have 25 or 30 speed in D&D Next?

• They should have their classic speeds of 25 to reflect their diminutive stature.

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • They should have 30 speed as well as humans, because ...(post rationale below)

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I don't care either way, D&D Next can do no wrong / right and they can continue doing so.

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Poll closed .

Derren

Hero
Because he's a little agile guy that has evolved to be good at scampering about?
Then why do you complain about him being fast in the first place?[

Because a smarmy demihuman should be at least as fast as your average farmhand?
And why?

Because its a bit ludicrous that my olympic gymnast Dexterity halfling rogue is slower than the bartender?

I don't really see many gymnasts running sprints. And in the end, no matter how agile a housecat is, a tiger is faster. Size simply matters.
Because Size S and M bipeds all have speeds of 30 for simplicity's sake?

Maybe I am wrong but I believe the average RPG gamer is smart enough to remember such things when playing.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
It has a tiny effect on game mechanics, but a big effect on verisimilitude when small races are now suddenly as fast as normal ones. As I said, a change for worse for no practical reason.

Exactly, people here mock my point of view that the number five is quite not the same as the number six, then they turn around and say, let's change it just for the sake of changing it, because it's so similar. If 25 is so similar to 30, why change it?

It's obvious this wasn't on ANYONE's radar as a bug needing to be fixed. Next they're going to make longswords do the same damage as great axes (1d10 vs 1d12 is the roughly the same relative difference as 5 vs 6).

If 5 is so close to 6 that you might as well make it 6, then surely no D10 weapons should exist in the game, because then you can have everything above D10 do D12, and everything D8 and below do D6.

Suddenly we're playing 13th Age and nobody cares about tradition any more, or picking up a game that we can all recognize as D&D. I see 30 speed halflings in the book and I'm going to go over it extra careful for all the other "little" changes before handing over my money. Homogenizing the game for zero benefit is a dubious use of precious developer time.

Derren

Hero
Suddenly we're playing 13th Age and nobody cares about tradition any more, or picking up a game that we can all recognize as D&D.

I do not care about tradition or "feeling like D&D". As long as you do not start calculating speed out of the stats a speed penalty for smaller races simply makes sense.

Last edited:

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Then why do you complain about him being fast in the first place?[

And why?

I don't really see many gymnasts running sprints. And in the end, no matter how agile a housecat is, a tiger is faster. Size simply matters.

Maybe I am wrong but I believe the average RPG gamer is smart enough to remember such things when playing.

It starts to feel like they're making a game for children (low IQ ones, at that). When I was a kid, I had no trouble differentiating my dwarf's slower speed from that of a human, and making do. It's a bit of a challenge, a bit different, which makes it interesting.

When you have a big boss fight where you do bust out the battle grid, that extra step of speed can mean the difference between running to your target to reach him (and dealing with the costs of having run), or moving over more cautiously. That's not "nothing".

And yes, of course size matters. We're talking humanoids, larger ones should move faster in general, they have longer legs, which is an advantage. A small sized Quickling can move super fast, but I've never heard anyone describe a gnome as a hustle-bustle kind of running-arounder.

If they do make everyone have 30 speed, they need to remove that line from the character sheet, because it will be superfluous and a waste of paper and page real estate. If you have customization spots on your character sheet, there should actually be a reason to leave that part blank, otherwise just print every sheet with a hard-coded speed, or even better, don't print it at all. Then we can start removing other traits, because the feedback that people have given wizards clearly shows that most people thought D&D Next was too customizable, with too many character building options.

Q) If Hobbits had the same speed as Orcs, why were they captured? Some races being faster is so clearly unfair, everything in the monster manual should have 30 speed too.

Last edited:

Wulfgar76

First Post
I do not care about tradition or "feeling like D&D". As long as you do not start calculating speed out of the stats a speed penalty for smaller races simply makes sense.

There are more than a few gameplay reasons for the change.

As for 'verisimilitude' reasons, I think it's obvious a halfling should not be slower than a goblin. Beyond that, I'm not convinced at all a halfling should be slower than a human at anything but some long distance run. In combat, the 'sprinting' capabilities of a short-legged demihuman would seem comparable to that of a human. The fastest running backs in the NFL are around 5'9", and they are twice as fast as the hulking linemen who tower over them. I suppose if you view Dwarves as actually having some pathological condition like Achondroplasia then yeah, they'd be pretty slow (and they'd be probably pretty poor at swinging a battleaxe as well). But I digress, it seems a pretty insignificant thing to fuss about.

Ultimately I would like to hear how making the speed all Core Races 30 somehow pours icewater on the fun of your game, or anyone's (besides Gorgoroth's).

Derren

Hero
There are more than a few gameplay reasons for the change.

Then why didn't you list any of them?
As for 'verisimilitude' reasons, I think it's obvious a halfling should not be slower than a goblin. Beyond that, I'm not convinced at all a halfling should be slower than a human at anything but some long distance run. In combat, the 'sprinting' capabilities of a short-legged demihuman would seem comparable to that of a human. The fastest running backs in the NFL are around 5'9", and they are twice as fast as the hulking linemen who tower over them. I suppose if you view Dwarves as actually having some pathological condition like Achondroplasia then yeah, they'd be pretty slow (and they'd be probably pretty poor at swinging a battleaxe as well). But I digress, it seems a pretty insignificant thing to fuss about.

And why should the halfling be faster than the same sized goblin? If you suggest to calculate speed with the attributes instead of having a fixed speed per race I agree. But as this is not the case and will not happen I don't see why the halfling should be faster than the goblin or why the twice as large human should not be faster than any of them.
Ultimately I would like to hear how making the speed all Core Races 30 somehow pours icewater on the fun of your game, or anyone's (besides Gorgoroth's).

Because things making sense is fun for me and this rule is not. And the bucket is already quite full...

How many people with dwarfism do you see competing in sports and being as fast as normal sized runners? In the World Dwarf Games last year the winning 100m sprints were between 14 to 17 seconds depending on the classification. In normal sized sports the records are around and in Bolts case below 10.

Last edited:

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned

And why should the halfling be faster than the same sized goblin? If you suggest to calculate speed with the attributes instead of having a fixed speed per race I agree. But as this is not the case and will not happen I don't see why the halfling should be faster than the goblin or why the twice as large human should not be faster than any of them.

Because things making sense is fun for me and this rule is not. How many people with dwarfism do you see competing in sports and being as fast as normal sized runners?
And the bucket is already quite full...

They removed all race-based stat penalties, because people can't handle disadvantages.
They removed halfling strength penalties or limits, because that's somehow unfair (despite being small gives them numerous other advantages)
They now are making halflings and gnomes and dwarves all the same speed as humans, which, when combined with the fact that halflings can have the same exact 20 strength as a half-orc, now have the same speed as well. It's so ludicrous, the game is going in the wrong direction, and I know why : munchkin entitlement and gamism. It's straight up affirmative action for halflings and gnomes, because they should be able to move at 30 speed wearing plate armor now.

Next up will be allowing halflings to wield greatswords. Mark my words, it's coming.

Wulfgar76

First Post
I did. Foremost among them is there is no good reason for differing speeds among small humanoids (goblin vs halfling).
Another is it rarely matters during a battle, so why not make all speeds the same for simplicity's sake.
Another it is a minor fiddly handicap for those races that has little reason for existing aside from tradition.
Another is for uniformity in calculating overland travel speed (for the 6 people who actually care about it)

I don't see why the halfling should be faster than the goblin or why the twice as large human should not be faster than any of them.
Just because you believe 'big stuff is faster than small stuff' does not make that resemble reality.
RunningBack vs Lineman?
Point Guard vs Center?
Jackrabbit vs Elephant?

Come to think of it, assuming large creatures are automatically faster than small ones is terrible verisimilitude!

If you want to limit it to Pathological Dwarf versus Normal Human then yeah, you got me there.

Because things making sense is fun for me and this rule is not.
I think one thing makes sense to you, the rules of 3rd edition, and this is different from that - so you dislike it.

Remove ads