• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 30 speed for all! Halflings, Gnomes, Dwarves were feeling left behind?

Do you think halflings, gnomes and dwarves should have 25 or 30 speed in D&D Next?

• They should have their classic speeds of 25 to reflect their diminutive stature.

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • They should have 30 speed as well as humans, because ...(post rationale below)

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I don't care either way, D&D Next can do no wrong / right and they can continue doing so.

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Poll closed .
In games that i run, I give halflings (and orcs) a 40 foot speed. So for me, being smaller does not necessarily need to equate to being slower. But I feel like making all the player races the same speed results in a loss of diversity for no real gain.

Anyway, it will be just as easy to adjust the speeds of various critters in future versions of D&D as it has been for previous versions of D&D.

Derren

Hero
Come to think of it, assuming large creatures are automatically faster than small ones is terrible verisimilitude!

Only when you try to compare creatures with vastly different physiology or a few inches in size difference with each other in a desperate attempts to explain why a half as large than normal human should be as fast as a normal sized one.

I think one thing makes sense to you, the rules of 3rd edition, and this is different from that - so you dislike it.

So when you have no arguments instead of silly compensations or laziness to remember rules start edition warring?

First link: All things being equal -- body mass, flexibility, proportionality and stride rate -- then taller people can run faster than shorter people.
So as long as you do not calculate the speed out of the attributes, which according to those links have a big impact on running speed, having people twice as large also being faster is correct.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
In the World Dwarf Games last year the winning 100m sprints were between 14 to 17 seconds depending on the classification.
That's funny because at worst that's 328 feet (round to 330) in 17 seconds (call it 3 rounds). Or a speed of 110' per round.

They removed halfling strength penalties or limits, because that's somehow unfair (despite being small gives them numerous other advantages)
Name one mechanical advantage of being Small in any edition where they have no Strength penalty.

munchkin entitlement and gamism. It's straight up affirmative action for halflings and gnomes, because they should be able to move at 30 speed wearing plate armor now.
Please, do go on. :uhoh:

Wulfgar76

First Post
First link: All things being equal -- body mass, flexibility, proportionality and stride rate -- then taller people can run faster than shorter people.
So as long as you do not calculate the speed out of the attributes, which according to those links have a big impact on running speed, having people twice as large also being faster is correct.

Oh for christ's sake. I will make the following concessions then bow out of this debate:

Yes, Usain Bolt can run the 100m faster than Tyrion Lannister.

You may claim victory.

Wulfgar76

First Post
That's funny because at worst that's 328 feet (round to 330) in 17 seconds (call it 3 rounds). Or a speed of 110' per round.

I'm just glad we got the meet results from The World Dwarf Games given as more evidence why Wizards is brazenly ruining D&D.
That's pretty awesome.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Since when is a speed of 25 considered "classic" for these D&D races? They used to have one-half the speed of humans.
In which edition? The oldest ones I have access to are 1e and Moldvay Basic. Both of them, when describing player character movement, make no distinction between races.

...Though, in the monster listings, dwarves have 6 movement, halflings have 9, and humans have 12. Goblins and Kobolds both had only 6. Weird. In the 2e Monstrous Manual, halfling speed is listed as "6 (9)." I have no idea what that means.

Derren

Hero

And what is funny about that? That 4E messes up running speeds so badly while in 3E, assuming the run feat, this would translate pretty well to 25ft movement speed?
By the way, why didn't you also provide the calculation for the 150' per round running speed for normal sized humans while you were at it?

Obryn

Hero
And what is funny about that?
By the way, why didn't you also provide the calculation for the 150' per round running speed for normal sized humans while you were at it?
Because you're up in arms about halflings running 30' to 60' in 6 seconds. Which is way slower than the very numbers you yourself provided as a metric.

e: And once again, neither 3e nor 4e are relevant here, so I don't know why you keep on bringing them up - much less editing your post after the fact to specifically take a dig at 4e. I mean, seriously. We're talking about Next's movement rates. Halflings in Next are way slower than actual athletic people with dwarfism in real life where it's considered an actual physical disability and you think it's too fast.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads