• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

30th Level Adventure in the next DUNGEON mag!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
Holy crap a 45th level character with only a 23 AC??? How did he live to make it that far? LOL
It won't let me download the file, but if that character has only 23 AC, unless the HP number in the thousands (or the character has impressive SR and DR), I'm fairly certain that my level 18-20 characters would make short work of it if they won initiative.

GlassJaw

Hero
Anyway, I've had to create such things as level 40 Shade Lich Sidhe Wizard/RedWizard/Archmage/ArcaneLord and Sorcerer/Incantrix/Archmage (married couple) and they take about an hour each at most.

An hour? I can't even imagine creating something like that in an hour. Either you are skipping and fudging a LOT of stuff, making a lot of mistakes, or are just better than the rest of us.

I agree....there comes a point when you have enough power. I mean, frankly all your power is really in your gear at that level. A 40th level character who gets hit by a couple of disjunctions or epic dispels is fish food. Why not just have a 20th level monty haul game?

IMO, that point is around 16-17th level. Even at that point, it's essentially a battle of accountants.

Rystil Arden

First Post
GlassJaw said:
An hour? I can't even imagine creating something like that in an hour. Either you are skipping and fudging a LOT of stuff, making a lot of mistakes, or are just better than the rest of us.

IMO, that point is around 16-17th level. Even at that point, it's essentially a battle of accountants.
Perhaps its that I can make decisions about what I want very quickly, and I tend to have a few feat combinations that I try to take with almost any epic character of a certain type, as I believe them to be good selections, which really helps out. Then when I run out of things that I think are better than Improved Spell Capacity, I load the character up with all the rest of their epic feats as Improved Spell Capacity. I buy all the skills up to their max ranks too, although I note where Int gains come in and so there will be a few skills that started late. As for spells, the sorcerer doesn't have to pick that many because they are a sorcerer, and I assume that the wizard has all the PH spells somewhere in a spellbook, and only worry about memorised spells on a case-by-case basis. Stick on the magic items (which tend to involve +12 stat items that cut down on the gold very quickly), and Bang, NPC finished.

I would definitely not say that I am better, but my best skill, in the real world and in games, is my speed, and I have a lot of experience making characters at these levels, so I can throw in prebuilt chunks from my head. I'm sure you'd be able to do it too if you worked at making NPCs of this level for long enough, but it seems like you don't even like playing at level 16, as you find it a battle of accountants, so you won't ever need this skill. More power to you :D.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
437 hitpoints, 9/- DR and SR 15...

In games I play in, a lot of characters have 23 AC or better at around 5th or 6th level.
;)
Wow, unless he has another protection about which you've failed to tell me, that guy is much much weaker (at surviving, that is) than any of the last ten things I threw at my level 18-20 party. They would do that much damage to him in a round, easily.

Mystery Man

First Post
GlassJaw said:

Nope, after you do it enough times you get quicker.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads