• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artoomis

First Post
I'd say the Wolverines Rage is restricted to opponents - as in those who have damaged the Wolverine.

This nicely balances the fact that the Rage is involuntary and can't be ended voluntarily. This means that a Wolverine character will die in combat. You can count on it.

Why?

Because the +4 Con adds hit points - once the Wolverine 10 points goes below it's original total, it will die as soon as it stops raging and lose the Con - and it's likely to view any attempt at direct healing as an attack - though Healing Circle and the like would work well.

So, on balance and the language, opponents should be only those who have attacked the Wolverine. This decision in this case was not really reasonable, though you balanced out the bad decision by giving her the chance to back away, which she refused to do.

Last edited:

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
I wish you guys would stop blaming the player (me). I was faced with an out of control killing machine, and playing IN CHARACTER is the one of, if not the, most important aspects of the game. It is a pain responce that causes the wolverine to go into a frenzy. The goblins surrounded me and were all swinging. It would have been very disorienting to my character who was "blinded by rage."

Plus, Monte ruled that I would see the PC as an enemy...

Lenet Cor Tarak

First Post
I really don't think anyone's blaming the Wolverine... I'm not. And I know there were any number of things I could have done differently. I've just been an editor for too long to read "opponent" as "opponents" without a protest.

IceBear

Explorer
There are lots of examples of poorly worded rules in the various rulebooks. Don't get too hung up on them :)

Too me, it doesn't seem to make much sense that a wolverine would stop raging once it killed the original creature that wounded it while there were other creatures attacking it. Now, if the other goblins had just stepped back and let the battle between their mate and the wolverine run it's course, I can see the wolverine calming down

IceBear

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Bottom line, it was unfortunate. I wish things had gone better. Whyt dont you let Ellen's character have that level from the raise spell back? That would solve a lot of the problems I think.

Tempuswolf

First Post
How Strange

I have never intepreted the rules in the manner they have been here. I not only read "opponent" as singular, but absolutely singular. In as much, as the first time a monster with the rage ability takes damage it gets tunnel vision ignoring the rest of battlefield, it won't stop attacking the offender until it or its opponent is dead. If a small turtle bites it on the nose, it will start wailing away at the turtle even though a legion of well armed men might start hacking off its limbs, it will ignore the greater threat for the one that triggered its fury. After the turtle is dead, the rage ends. If it gets hit again after the first rage ends, it will start to rage again in the same manner on a new opponent. Since it was ignoring the rest of battlefield when it was raging in the first part of the battle, it wouldn't automatically start raging on another opponent after it takes out the original offender, those other blows simply hadn't registered.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads