3E/Pathfinder Conversion of the Vampire Bestiary

Hiya matey! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
I'm also wondering about the Adze Swarms.

The Lightning Bug and Thunder Hornet Adze Swarms are (4E) Level 6 and Level 11. Originally I was thinking they should convert to ~ (3.X/PF) CR 5-6 and 9-11 (which is what I sent you).

But if the CR 11 Thunder Wendigo Behemoth is "summoning" 3 CR 10 Thunder Hornet Adze Swarms - that's more XP value than the Wendigo itself. And summoned creatures don't grant XP.

So... either we should

1) greatly weaken the Adze Swarms (maybe CR3-4 for Lightning Bug and 5-6 for Thunder Hornet)
2) put in a special exception that "symbiotic" Adze Swarms DO grant XP separate from the Wendigo "host"

What do you think?

I'd say option 1.

Ideally we want the Adze swarms about half the CR of the Wendigo in PF.

Progress update...

So, I've sent all three Wendigos and all three Wights... I'll send the new version of the Lightning Bug Adze Swarm (tomorrow hopefully), and that'll finish those off...

On Vampire Monsters, I've sent Jenglot, Chupacabra, Chon-chon, Asanbosam, and Pey... which leaves (partially done) Strix, Impundulu and Yara-ma-ya-who and (not started) Uktena, Soul Eater, and Obayifo.

Are you doing all the Cannibal entries, U_K, or just the animals/bugs (Ant Swarms, Piranha Swarm, Jaguar, Dire Crocodile)?

Howdy Khisanth matey! :)

Progress update...

So, I've sent all three Wendigos and all three Wights... I'll send the new version of the Lightning Bug Adze Swarm (tomorrow hopefully), and that'll finish those off...

On Vampire Monsters, I've sent Jenglot, Chupacabra, Chon-chon, Asanbosam, and Pey... which leaves (partially done) Strix, Impundulu and Yara-ma-ya-who and (not started) Uktena, Soul Eater, and Obayifo.

Thanks a million amigo. Literally couldn't have done it without you. I owe you big time.

Are you doing all the Cannibal entries, U_K, or just the animals/bugs (Ant Swarms, Piranha Swarm, Jaguar, Dire Crocodile)?

Well, I'll work on the animals for now and see how far I get.

Want to finish Vampire Bestiary 2 this week (fingers crossed) then I'll spend a week or two on getting my Pathfinder conversions and see how many I can get done. As well as getting the Pathfinder version of the Vampire Bestiary licked into shape.

OK, sent Strix (though it has no CR, help?) and Yara-ma-ya-who.

Obayifo is mostly done.

I have the basic statblock down for Impundulu, but I'm not sure what to do about the "wear it as a cloak" thing.

Soul Eater's Devour Soul also doesn't go cleanly into 3.5e - maybe give it Energy Drain instead?

Hiya Khisanth mate,

thanks again for all the help.

OK, sent Strix (though it has no CR, help?) and Yara-ma-ya-who.

Obayifo is mostly done.

Kewl! :cool:

I have the basic statblock down for Impundulu, but I'm not sure what to do about the "wear it as a cloak" thing.

Good question. I wonder if that needs to be a template...?

Soul Eater's Devour Soul also doesn't go cleanly into 3.5e - maybe give it Energy Drain instead?

That would be easiest, although maybe have a look and check its CR against other PF monsters with energy drain just to make sure its not noticably lower.

That would be easiest, although maybe have a look and check its CR against other PF monsters with energy drain just to make sure its not noticably lower.

Well, Wights (CR 3) have energy drain, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

If anything, the Soul Eater might be CR8 rather than CR9. It can drain two levels per round (one with each claw attack), like the devourer; but the spectre can drain 2 levels too, at CR7.

I was vacillating on whether to give it a 1/day feeblemind spell like ability; maybe it should have that.

Hey all! :)

Got back late last night.

Howdy Khisanth amigo! :)

Well, Wights (CR 3) have energy drain, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

If anything, the Soul Eater might be CR8 rather than CR9. It can drain two levels per round (one with each claw attack), like the devourer; but the spectre can drain 2 levels too, at CR7.

Good stuff - thats okay then.

I was vacillating on whether to give it a 1/day feeblemind spell like ability; maybe it should have that.

Hhmm. Put it in for now and we can mull it over the details when I put the conversion together. ;)

I'm not sure what to do with the Uktena's Dream Sequence in Pathfinder terms. I have a version converted without that ability (still needs a look over but I should be able to send it either today or tomorrow), but....

The Uktena will wrap up the Vampire Monsters, so I'm also looking at the only remaining section... the Cannibals.

I'm honestly not sure how this will work in the 3.X/PF system. The book has 9 actual cannibal types (not counting animals and ant swarms)... but when you can just add class levels, how do you justify 9 statblocks for the same humanoids?

I'm thinking the Deathwalker should become a true undead. The Crazy can convert to the base statblock (I think we decided on the first 2 pages of this thread that Cannibals would be "Neanderthal" types with 3 base HD rather than actual humans - so the base statblock gets no class levels, since it's a 2+ HD humanoid). Then we have room for a Rogue type (Sniper), Warrior (Headhunter), and Adept (Witchdoctor)... plus leaders ... Fighter (Chief) and Cleric (Spirit Chief). But that still isn't enough.

Hey Khisanth mate! :)

I'm not sure what to do with the Uktena's Dream Sequence in Pathfinder terms. I have a version converted without that ability (still needs a look over but I should be able to send it either today or tomorrow), but....

Surely the dream sequence is not edition relevant. Meaning it could just work as written for any RPG. When the monster drops to half hp...etc.

The Uktena will wrap up the Vampire Monsters, so I'm also looking at the only remaining section... the Cannibals.

I'm honestly not sure how this will work in the 3.X/PF system. The book has 9 actual cannibal types (not counting animals and ant swarms)... but when you can just add class levels, how do you justify 9 statblocks for the same humanoids?

I'd say:

3HD base = Crazy
3HD +1 Ranger = Sniper
3HD +2 Ranger = Headhunter
3HD +3 Fighter = Impaler
5HD half-undead = Deathwalker
3HD +7 Sorceror = Witchdoctor
3HD +8 Fighter = Chief
Rabid = template (equal to +4 CR)
5HD half-undead +9 Cleric = Spirit Chief

I'm thinking the Deathwalker should become a true undead. The Crazy can convert to the base statblock (I think we decided on the first 2 pages of this thread that Cannibals would be "Neanderthal" types with 3 base HD rather than actual humans - so the base statblock gets no class levels, since it's a 2+ HD humanoid). Then we have room for a Rogue type (Sniper), Warrior (Headhunter), and Adept (Witchdoctor)... plus leaders ... Fighter (Chief) and Cleric (Spirit Chief). But that still isn't enough.

Sounds good - its been a while since I played about with NPC classes.

Remove ads