3E/Pathfinder Conversion of the Vampire Bestiary

Hey Khisanth amigo! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
OK, I'm a bit confused about Asmodeus/Aeshma-Deva. Asmodeus is listed as Level 33 Solo, Telocvovim is Level 29 Solo, Aeshma-Deva is Level 34 Super-Solo. Does Aeshma-Deva's stat block actually get used multiple times or is he just called Super-Solo due to the 2 previous stat blocks?

He's Super-solo because he has double hit points and +50% damage.

Aeshma-Deva was originally a Balseraph (eveil Seraphim) who had the Dragon head severed (which became Telocvovim) during this rebellion of the Angels under Lucifer. Aeshma-Deva imprisoned Telocvovim in jewel form* (atop his rod). Aeshma-Deva then won a mental duel with his other two heads and suppressed them behind magical, mental blocks becoming Asmodeus in the process.

*Specifically his spear pierced the dragons heart and was turned into the ruby rod/mace.

Is it:
Asmodeus (initial form, with Rod) -> Asmodeus (Rod in ground)
Telocvovim (after Rod is destroyed) probably fighting alongside Asmodeus (without Rod)
Telocvovim fighting alongside Aeshma-Deva (after Asmodeus is killed)

so 3 total stat blocks (Asmodeus, Telocvovim, Aeshma-Deva) each only used once?

Yes.

And what level does the whole thing convert to? (If it were a single monster...) and is the 'whole being' considered a Greater god or an Elder god?

I think its Solo 43 or Super-solo 38, something like that.

Also, I haven't forgotten the whole conversion thing but internet/e-mail is slow here... will send several stat blocks once I get back to better Internet (probably Sunday or Monday).

Take your time.

Also also ... I'm not sure what to do about the animal stat blocks, given we already have official stat blocks for a Leopard and Dire Crocodile.

(Yeah, a leopard isn't a jaguar, but they'd probably differ only by +2 Str / -2 Dex; a jaguar is more heavily built.)

Makes sense. I am not sure about the Dire Croc myself, as you say, given the official stats.

Spoke too soon, not this weekend. Not sure about the Rabid either - I'm not sure what to do beyond just putting the "rabid animal" rules from the Dog entry in the Bestiary onto a cannibal stat block. In PF, it would need some sort of class levels or something to justify the higher CR, but that doesn't fit for something that's basically a near-mindless beast - I notice the Rabid Cannibal stat block is even "unaligned" rather than "evil" like the other cannibals.

I guess I could change it to be a product of witch doctors, created as a war weapon, rather than by natural disease...

Actually tried posting this last night but my internet connection died. Having intermittent modem problems - but the technician is out tomorrow to fix/replace it.

Apologies for the slow reply mate, was in London these past 11-12 days and just got back this evening.

Spoke too soon, not this weekend.

You know no one procrastinates like me so don't worry about delays. ;)

That said almost two weeks of intensive gaming has renewed my enthusiasm so hopefully that will spur me on a bit.

I noticed the two new emails you sent and I'll attend to them over the next day or so as I work through the backlog.

Not sure about the Rabid either - I'm not sure what to do beyond just putting the "rabid animal" rules from the Dog entry in the Bestiary onto a cannibal stat block. In PF, it would need some sort of class levels or something to justify the higher CR, but that doesn't fit for something that's basically a near-mindless beast - I notice the Rabid Cannibal stat block is even "unaligned" rather than "evil" like the other cannibals.

I guess I could change it to be a product of witch doctors, created as a war weapon, rather than by natural disease...

That's what I was thinking. The typical cannibal is a bit evil (by modern perspectives - assuming those are apropos), while the Rabid Cannibal is sick and uncontrollable.

As for what to do with the Rabid stat-block, I'm not sure if the existing Rabid Animal template (?) will suffice given how much more powerful I made the Rabid Cannibal. It might have to be something 'new' a product of the Witchdoctor's (or some new malady) magic.

I think my inspiration for the Rabid Cannibals was the Gimped-out nutcases from the original Beastmaster Movie(s).

Maybe something like "Darkjungle Rabies" rather than just plain rabid?

This plague is found only in the darkest, most thickly overgrown jungles, where even those peoples native to the rainforest fear to venture - with good reason. A humanoid infected by Darkjungle Rabies is rapidly transformed into a howling monster, its strength increased to inhuman levels as its teeth and nails transform into knife-like weapons. A bite from an Infected can further spread the disease.

The origin of Darkjungle Rabies is not known, but sages speculate it may have been a weapon developed by one of the mightiest of demon lords.

Hey Khisanth amigo! :)

Maybe something like "Darkjungle Rabies" rather than just plain rabid?

This plague is found only in the darkest, most thickly overgrown jungles, where even those peoples native to the rainforest fear to venture - with good reason. A humanoid infected by Darkjungle Rabies is rapidly transformed into a howling monster, its strength increased to inhuman levels as its teeth and nails transform into knife-like weapons. A bite from an Infected can further spread the disease.

The origin of Darkjungle Rabies is not known, but sages speculate it may have been a weapon developed by one of the mightiest of demon lords.

That's pretty darn good.

I just looed up madness on the thesaurus.com and thought the change to Cannibal Psycopath might work, but I like your version better. :)

OK all cannibals sent.

Thanks Khisanth mate. ;)

Are you still doing animals or should I?

I'm busy this weekend but then I want to take a crack at trying my hand with some Pathfinder creation. I'll see how I get on with a few of the animals and send them to you to see what you think. If I make a hash of it I might need you to do it.

I'm also going to put the Pathfinder version together so maybe I can have a simultaneous (Print) release of the revised VB1 for 4E and Pathfinder.

Okay, so I sent three traps, a hazard, etc.

Quicksand, there are already Pathfinder rules for.

Rope Snare... I don't have any idea how to calculate the CR for this, sorry (non-damaging non-spell based trap). Maybe ask Alzrius? Or just pretend it's an entangle spell trap despite being non-magical?

Ant Hill... seems more like a creature encounter (only hostile under certain conditions) than a trap/hazard, at least in 3.X/PF definition of 'hazard'.

SO, I think I've done as much as I can on this, at least until you look at the animals... so.

Time to buy Mythic Adventures!

Okay, so I sent three traps, a hazard, etc.

Okay thanks a million Khisanth mate! :)

Quicksand, there are already Pathfinder rules for.

Okay.

Rope Snare... I don't have any idea how to calculate the CR for this, sorry (non-damaging non-spell based trap). Maybe ask Alzrius? Or just pretend it's an entangle spell trap despite being non-magical?

I'll take a look but I'm probably going to be as baffled as yourself if not moreso. ;)

Ant Hill... seems more like a creature encounter (only hostile under certain conditions) than a trap/hazard, at least in 3.X/PF definition of 'hazard'.

I wonder how they handle a 'potential creature summoning'.

SO, I think I've done as much as I can on this, at least until you look at the animals... so.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be in touch later this week (having to work this weekend) when I get stuck. :D

Time to buy Mythic Adventures!

Let me know what that's like when you get it. I'm almost certainly going to buy it within a week or so. Just been really busy of late.

Remove ads