4E and RPG Theory (GNS)

marune

First Post
Like some designers' comments hinted to it, D&D is still a confused gamist/simulationist RPG.

In opposition to 3.x, where some of the mechanical parts were confusing on the entailed playstyle, in 4E the confusion comes from the fact that the mechanics is yelling G and the fluff text of both PHB and DMG is yelling S (not everywhere I know).

IMHO, D&D should facilitates a high-exploration gamist play at the challenge level and a vanilla narrativist play at the adventure/campaign level.

The good news is that this is IHMO possible without changing much mechanical rules (maybe the reward system a bit), but only by replacing a lot of the "how D&D should be played" text.

The (very, IMHO) bad news is that simulationism will still be taught by those books as the "official" playstyle to new players.

A first example of what to change :

Original (PHP p.8) : When you play your D&D character, you put yourself into your character’s shoes and make decisions as if you were that character.

i.e. Actor stance is the default.

Changes : Author stance is the default, warn new players agains't pawn stance ->

When you play D&D like in every game, you, as a player, have to make decisions, for example, choosing the best tactics to win a combat. However, because D&D is a role-playing game, you have to share (most of the time) with the other players (DM included) a justification you can imagine that your character had to take this decision. That is different from board games, where you may have to make sure that the others players don't know why you moved your pieces in a certain position.

Last edited:

Kishin

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
RPG Theory always loses when it plays D&D.

Yet it keeps coming back for more. It needs to be extinguished, tossed in a hole with a depth roughly equivalent to the Marianas Trench, and buried.

G/S/N discussions do nothing but create 20 pages of pointless bickering. They, never, ever provide any sort of clarity or meaningful insight.

marune

First Post
Byronic said:
The original sounds more exciting and perhaps more inviting to new players.

I didn't put much effort in the wording, sorry.

The key idea is to prevent nailing down to new players that roleplaying is defined as / limited to actor stance.

I'll come back with other ugly things coming from the DMG later.

BTW, I put RPG theory in the title, if you don't care for it, simply ignore the thread !

Kishin said:
G/S/N discussions do nothing but create 20 pages of pointless bickering. They, never, ever provide any sort of clarity or meaningful insight.
What he said. 15 of those pages tend to be people arguing over what S even means.

marune

First Post
Fifth Element said:
What he said. 15 of those pages tend to be people arguing over what S even means.

This thread is not about the merit/flaws of RPG theory nor about it's definitions. If you don't want to talk about RPG theory in 4E, just ignore the thread.

Please don't fill up this thread with other "RPG suck" posts.

Remove ads