• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E and RPG Theory (GNS)

pawsplay

Hero
eyebeams said:
Sure. Of course, to many players this bespeaks a radical distrust in their abilities. It demonstrates such little faith in the players' ability to build a story by their actions that you are literally throwing them in a box to deal with a premise.

I think it speaks of little faith in the players that you believe being in a box is obstacle to telling a story. Alien is nothing more than science-fiction dungeon crawl.

pawsplay

Hero
skeptic said:
You are really saying that tailored encounters (either for gamism or narrativivsm purpose) is the same as railroading ???

As nearly as I can tell, eyebeams is claiming that any premise to a game whatsoever is railroading.

eyebeams

Explorer
pawsplay said:
It isn't. You applied the term to a role-playing system, and I protested.

It applies to a roleplaying system when people decide they don't like the game and don't want you to like it, either. It doesn't apply to a roleplaying system when people discover that there are similarities between something they criticized and something they enjoy.

Really, railroading is a very stupid term.

S'mon

Legend
eyebeams said:
Read.The Rest of. What I wrote.

If you define railroading as something that restricts a choice that should be available according to the game, then a game's design can't have any effect on railroading.

Exactly. Your definition of railroading is a really silly one and totally wrong IMO. A game's premise has no effect on railroading. Railroading is the GM depriving the players of meaningful choice, of any real impact on events.

pawsplay

Hero
eyebeams said:
It applies to a roleplaying system when people decide they don't like the game and don't want you to like it, either. It doesn't apply to a roleplaying system when people discover that there are similarities between something they criticized and something they enjoy.

Really, railroading is a very stupid term.

I think it's a very useful term for describing a pathological style of gaming where a GM makes a pretence of allowing player choice but then systematically eradicates meaningful choices except for the ones that are "correct" to their meta-game goals.

S'mon

Legend
pawsplay said:
I think it's a very useful term for describing a pathological style of gaming where a GM makes a pretence of allowing player choice but then systematically eradicates meaningful choices except for the ones that are "correct" to their meta-game goals.

I think you can have railroading without even a pretense of meaningful choice - "sit back & enjoy the ride" type games - and these are the least bad form of railroading, as at least there's no deception. Eg the Dragonlance saga (in module form) was a railroad, but the players could be informed of this and still enjoy the experience.

Remove ads