D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

klinktastic

First Post
Hi, I'm picking up back up with a DnD 4E game. I'm rolling a Dragonborn Sorcerer - Dragon Magic. The GM is allowing us to use themes. I quit my subscriptions and buying books around the time themes were coming out. Any advice on good ones? I'm focused more on mechanics. I can re-skin the fluff to suit my character as needed. Thanks!

wasteomana

First Post
There are honestly several good ones. If you have some way of getting a copy of the portable compendium (can't link for blockage reasons, but google exists) then that will really help you. Its free and has all the themes. I would recommend Sensate personally or Cipher, especially if you are Draconian and starting off with flight (which you should be a draconian for the bonus to arcane spells at least if not for the flight).

MwaO

Adventurer
Hi, I'm picking up back up with a DnD 4E game. I'm rolling a Dragonborn Sorcerer - Dragon Magic. The GM is allowing us to use themes. I quit my subscriptions and buying books around the time themes were coming out. Any advice on good ones? I'm focused more on mechanics. I can re-skin the fluff to suit my character as needed. Thanks!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468784-Variation-on-Themes(by-MwaO)

In general, I tend to like the following ones:
Ghost of the Past - extra action point at 10th
Guardian - make your Defender happy when you basic attack their mark target, they attack you, and trigger your Defender's mark
Beguiler - spend minor action, slide target. Works with Flame Spiral
Serifal Feywarden - works great with Fey races, but you're not Fey.
Infernal Slave
Halaster's Clone can be good if no Warlord in the party
If you're doing a Rebreather and I'm assuming you're not because you'd like the rest of your table to enjoy the game, Sensate is amazing.

darkbard

Legend
Is the Shadow Dancer's Shadowy Tendrils teleport effect "an effect that a save can end" (since forced teleportation enables a save to resist)?

Effect: You teleport up to 5 squares, then make a basic attack. You teleport one target hit by the attack up to 3 squares, and it is dazed until the end of your next turn.

If so, can this save be penalized with an Amulet of Elegy's daily power?

Power Daily (Free Action)
Trigger: You use a power to produce an effect that a save can end.
Effect: Each target of the power takes a penalty to its first saving throw against the effect equal to the amulet's enhancement bonus.

MwaO

Adventurer
Is the Shadow Dancer's Shadowy Tendrils teleport effect "an effect that a save can end" (since forced teleportation enables a save to resist)?

No. You're not under the effect unless you fail the save. And it is only forced teleportation into the air or hindering terrain.

darkbard

Legend
I can't find any indication that a fey beast companion's skills scale with level. Is this true? Does a 30th level character's companion really have difficulty clearing a 15' jump over a chasm, for example?

MwaO

Adventurer
I can't find any indication that a fey beast companion's skills scale with level. Is this true? Does a 30th level character's companion really have difficulty clearing a 15' jump over a chasm, for example?

"Your fey beast companion’s level is equal to yours"

So it gets the usual +1/2 level skill bonus boost because it doesn't say otherwise unlike attack.

darkbard

Legend
Well, duh! Can't believe I overlooked that! (Do you sometimes get the feeling, by the way, that we're the only two playing 4E these days?)

Remove ads