D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Zathris

First Post
One of my players wants his PC to transform between regular and demon forms. Is there a class or PP that supports this?

PS
Is this something that needs to have mechanical changes? If they don't need any mechanical change, then you don't need anything to support this other than you agreeing to let them. Assuming they want some sort of Demon power-stuff...

There are a multitude of ways to make your character look like a creature of the same size, though very few ways of becoming Large (nearly all are terrible and/or daily powers though). Mostly, this is going to be useful so they can look Human because there's also plenty of ways to permanently look demonic.

The easy answer is "Be a Tiefling"
After that is Demon Spawn Theme from HotEC - You look very demonic, your origin becomes elemental, you gain the demon keyword, you add Abyssal to your languages, you gain a resist when bloodied, lots of demonic related powers. Throw on a Hat of Disguise to look Human sometimes and you're good to go.
After that, give them a Demonic Monster Theme from the Demonomicon or DMG2

After that, I'd say play a Warden or Battlemind, whose daily powers involve polymorphing for interesting benefits, and describe the transformation into relevant demonic types (Form of Winter's Herald = Jarrlak, etc.)

MwaO

Adventurer
Yeah, a lot of 4e is simply refluffing. Define what you, the DM, mean by Demon form and point out ways of 'transforming' - Rain of Steel as an example could be an aura of nasty demon teeth.

Just look for powers that that last the entire encounter and have some obvious transformation effect such as forms(Warden) or rages(Barbarian). Berserker could be interesting - when the PC is a Defender, they're human and when they're raging, they're demonic.

shepsquared121

First Post
I keep hearing that 4e requires certain feat taxes.

Other than the relevant expertise feat, are there any other feat taxes? And roughly when should I take these feats?

Zathris

First Post
I keep hearing that 4e requires certain feat taxes.

Other than the relevant expertise feat, are there any other feat taxes? And roughly when should I take these feats?
It's honestly a bit wrong to call them taxes. You can play and enjoy the game without them, and with a competent DM that knows how to balance encounters for the party, and parties with similar optimization levels they're basically irrelevant. Though they do fix obvious math errors in the game design and will make the DMs job easier for challenging the party properly.

Improved Defenses is needed around Mid-Paragon
Epic Fort/Ref/Will is needed for your worst NAD. It's often also suggested that the other two not be allowed.

Personally I feel that Strikers have a lot more feat taxes, but it's different based on the class, they just need to be able to do their job.

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
A reasonable fix is basically to hand out Versatile Expertise and Improved Defenses for free at 5th. .

The major benefit is that it results in more interesting builds. Otherwise, the various feats are so used that a pc is basically suboptimal for not taking 2-3 of them by 11th. When 25-42% of all PCs feats are put into very similar feats, it really lowers diversity of builds.

masteraleph

Explorer
Broom of Flying: How does one get on/off? It's not technically a mount or vehicle, but it seems weird to say that it can be ridden without taking an action.

MwaO

Adventurer
Broom of Flying: How does one get on/off? It's not technically a mount or vehicle, but it seems weird to say that it can be ridden without taking an action.

That's kind of undefined. It could be a Mount(move), an object you need to retrieve(minor), or a free action to use. Up to the DM.

masteraleph

Explorer
On a Carnage Weapon ("When you roll the maximum result on at least one of this weapon’s damage dice, the target takes extra damage equal to twice the weapon’s enhancement bonus.")- what counts as a damage die? Are we only talking [W]s here, or do things like the extra dice from a critical hit, devastating critical, etc. count as well?

Remove ads