D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Zathris

First Post
On a Carnage Weapon ("When you roll the maximum result on at least one of this weapon’s damage dice, the target takes extra damage equal to twice the weapon’s enhancement bonus.")- what counts as a damage die? Are we only talking [W]s here, or do things like the extra dice from a critical hit, devastating critical, etc. count as well?

It's only the [W]s and that includes weapons like Gouge that roll 2d6, the "Weapons Damage Die" is defined as the 2d6, so you need a 12 to trigger Carnage. (there was a pretty dumb argument about it, and even though this is clearly RAI and RAW, etv.)

Princelucianus

Explorer
Hi.

A friend of mine has taken the feat ''Fervent Ardent''. It states that you can use Ardent Surge once a day.
I interpret that as one time during an encounter per day, but he claims you can use it twice during an encounter, but only once per day.
Since we seem to be at a deadlock, I wonder if there's a clarification for this?

Thanks

Zathris

First Post
Hi.

A friend of mine has taken the feat ''Fervent Ardent''. It states that you can use Ardent Surge once a day.
I interpret that as one time during an encounter per day, but he claims you can use it twice during an encounter, but only once per day.
Since we seem to be at a deadlock, I wonder if there's a clarification for this?

Thanks
I assume you mean the Multiclass Ardent feat: Fervent Talent.

His claim makes no sense and is just wrong. "Once per day" means "Once per day" means "Once per day".

I'm assuming he's basing his statement off of the text on Ardent Surge that says "Special: You can use this power twice per encounter..." But 4e rules work based on more specific rules taking precedence over general rules.
General: Encounter Powers are usable only once per encounter.
General: Ardents, and only Ardents, gain the Ardent Surge power.
Specific: Ardent Surge says it can be used twice (and later thrice) per encounter.
More Specific: Fervent Talent says a non-Ardent can use Ardent Surge once per day.

He would be right if Fervent Talent said "In one encounter per day, you can use Ardent Surge" because there would be nothing to supersede the special text on Ardent Surge. However, "Once per day" pretty obviously trumps.

MwaO

Adventurer
Right. Always look to the general rules of how the power works first, then see what the specific limitations(if any) of how you got it change how it works. Those specific limitations always win.

And in this case, once per day means the power can be used once per day, not twice.

Tussin

Villager
i am attempting to create a new character that is fun and different... i just want to know how this applies?

for the Scholar character theme... it says i have the language, does it mean i can read, write and speak it?

Scholar Level 10 Feature (10th level): You know all the languages listed in the Rules Compendium (page 69) and Player's Handbook (page 25). (At the Dungeon Master’s discretion, other languages can be added to the languages you know with this feature.) You can also attempt an Arcana check (hard DC of your level) to decipher a message written in code or protected by a magical disguise.

Tussin

Villager
awesome, in a related question, i want to be a Scholar in effect... what races would complement it the most you feel? to be a master linguist? and if so are any of these racials duplicate-able by feats or anything else i can pickup later?

Kenku - Mimicry: You can imitate sounds and voices you have heard, even sounds that cannot normally be made by humanoids. Each time you attempt to mimic a sound, you must succeed on a Bluff check to fool those who hear the sound into believing it is genuine.

Kalashtar - Telepathy 5: You can communicate with any other creature that has a language and is within line of sight and within 5 squares of you; this allows for two-way communication

Shardmind - Telepathy: You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 5 squares of you that has a language.

Pixie - Speak with Beasts: You can communicate with natural beasts and fey beasts.

Hengeyokai - Language of Beasts: While you are in animal or hybrid form, you can communicate with any natural or fey beasts that share your animal form or a form that is closely related (for example, a dog hengeyokai can communicate with a wolf). In human form, you can understand these beasts but cannot directly communicate with them.
You can communicate simple concepts and commands to such creatures, but they are under no compulsion to obey you, and their knowledge is restricted by their experience and mobility. Beasts you talk to are not necessarily friendly; your DM may require skill checks to influence their attitude.

Changeling - Shapechanger: You have the shapechanger subtype; you can alter your appearance. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect shapechangers. (the ability to look like a race that speaks anything is more flavor then an effect?)

Zathris

First Post
awesome, in a related question, i want to be a Scholar in effect... what races would complement it the most you feel? to be a master linguist? and if so are any of these racials duplicate-able by feats or anything else i can pickup later?

Kenku - Mimicry: You can imitate sounds and voices you have heard, even sounds that cannot normally be made by humanoids. Each time you attempt to mimic a sound, you must succeed on a Bluff check to fool those who hear the sound into believing it is genuine.

Kalashtar - Telepathy 5: You can communicate with any other creature that has a language and is within line of sight and within 5 squares of you; this allows for two-way communication

Shardmind - Telepathy: You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 5 squares of you that has a language.

Pixie - Speak with Beasts: You can communicate with natural beasts and fey beasts.

Hengeyokai - Language of Beasts: While you are in animal or hybrid form, you can communicate with any natural or fey beasts that share your animal form or a form that is closely related (for example, a dog hengeyokai can communicate with a wolf). In human form, you can understand these beasts but cannot directly communicate with them.
You can communicate simple concepts and commands to such creatures, but they are under no compulsion to obey you, and their knowledge is restricted by their experience and mobility. Beasts you talk to are not necessarily friendly; your DM may require skill checks to influence their attitude.

Changeling - Shapechanger: You have the shapechanger subtype; you can alter your appearance. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect shapechangers. (the ability to look like a race that speaks anything is more flavor then an effect?)
I'll be perfectly honest; I don't think Scholar or Master Linguist are character traits that you should ever build toward in D&D. My reasons go beyond any opinions of optimization being required for a Combat system (which is true).

The thing to remember (and for your DM to remember) is that in D&D you are not playing *against* the DM, they are running a setting in which your characters are the stars. If no one in the party speaks dwarven, including a puzzle or plot device that requires knowing dwarven is wrongbadmeandumb. Now, knowing dwarven can give you an advantage in certain non-crucial situations (negotiations, disarming a trap, etc) but it should never be involved as a Pass/Fail choice. If the DM does begin to include those sort of things, it ultimately either detracts from the other players in the party because they cannot participate, or forces them to waste resources on knowing Dwarven so that they can participate.

This is why they include such a large number of magic items and consumables (including rituals) that mimick all of the abilities you've listed. At 1st level you can have the Comprehend Languages ritual, As early as level 5 you can pick up items to know any language (Polyglot Gem), and at level 2 if you can use a staff, you can understand the writing and speech of literally every language because of the special property of Supernal (Staff of Tongues). Speaking with animals can come from a level 4 alternative award (Speak with Animals). Disguises come later without a good Bluff skill, Wizards can do it at level 6...

So to answer your question, I would be a Deva Wizard if I wanted to be any sort of Scholar, at level 11 you effectively know every language (Remembered Mother Tongue) and well before then you can look like anyone, speak to anyone, craft illusionary objects and sounds, and with some cantrip help you'll excel at every important skill. Importantly, because most of this is with rituals, your DM still shouldn't be creating challenges that require your character to be the sole actor in a scene.

masteraleph

Explorer
FWIW, Zathris is slightly off on Supernal- Supernal can be spoken so that anyone understands it by immortals, but that doesn't mean they can understand everyone. But yes, Devas who speak Supernal can make everyone understand, even if they can't get all the responses.

Tussin

Villager
i understand, i just wanted to be ready for any curveball that may be presented.

i also had a few ideas for synergy with this as well

Traveler's Insight
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Trained in Insight
Benefit: You gain a feat bonus to Insight checks equal to the number of languages you know.

i also want to get my monster check skills high so i can utilize this and give the party a boost if one presents itself

Use Vulnerability (Scholar ability)

You know the strengths and weaknesses of the creature you’re facing.

Encounter Arcane
Free Action Personal

Trigger: You succeed on a monster knowledge check against a monster that you can see or hear.

Effect: If your check result meets or exceeds the hard DC for the monster’s level, you gain a +4 power bonus to all defenses against the monster's attacks until the end of your next turn. Additionally, until the end of your next turn, you gain a power bonus to damage rolls against the target equal to your Intelligence modifier, but not when you deal damage that the target resists.
If your check result does not meet or exceed the hard DC, your attacks against the target deal only half damage until the end of your next turn.

i also really enjoy the level 2 and 10 Scholar abilities and plan to use them

Deva is a great choice i do like their racial ability as well. hmm

i would like to poach the Serpent's Cunning or Owl's Wisdom level 6 druid utility skills if possible... nice but not essential

hybriding or multiclassing Bard would be great because of the feat support alone for getting my knowledge/monster check skills up high, and healing is a nice plus

Bardic Knowledge/Bard of all trades/Jack of all trades can raise them up in another way

so i am at a toss up, do i make a pure Bard or Wizard for their slight bonuses down the road? multiclassing Druid wouldn't get my direct access to their level 6 utility for selection, if i pick Druid in any way i can't improve my healing because most of the feats are Cleric related, i would need a multiclass of that later on via Bard if at all. if i multiclass Bard i would get the feat support, no bard abilities and 1 healing spell per day

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases