D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Tussin

Villager
a few bugbear related questions..

Oversized - You can use weapons of your size or one size larger than you as if they were your size.

are there any other feats, items, paragon paths or epic destinies that also increase hit die for weapons outside of the bugbear racial ability? i am wanting to see if there is a good weapon i can buff up a few hit die if possible

and if i use a weapon with the brutal property, can i make rerolls on my Predatory Eye racial power?

masteraleph

Explorer
Eternal Defender, though it's not completely clear to me if it stacks.

And no- Brutal only applies to weapon damage dice, so [W]s only (that does include high crit dice, incidentally, but not the usual dice from a magic weapon on a crit).

Zathris

First Post
Eternal Defender, though it's not completely clear to me if it stacks.
They wouldn't stack, both reference your size. You need something that increases your size, there's a couple ED's (both involving Dragons), but I think the most reliable way (and still being able to use weapons, since wild shape druids can't) is being a Warden, several forms make you Large.

It is, again, worth noting that this is an entirely impractical way of increasing your damage; virtually every other race with similar stat bonuses is going to have better damage support than Bugbear.

Zathris

First Post
Putting together an Eladrin Swordmage|Warlock for a limited adventure- starting (and probably ending) at level 13, probably with no extended rests, about 4 sessions or so.

Here's the question:

10/17/10/15+2/8/13+2 starting array (11/20/11/20/9/16 now), Star and Infernal as pacts, with Tyrannical Thread as a daily and probably Mordant Rains of Dis as an Encounter, or 10/13/10/17+2/8/15+2 or 10/13/10/15+2/8/17+2 starting array (14 in CON and a 20 and a 22 in INT/CHA- not sure which one to go with) and Touch of Command as an Encounter and Command Insanity as Daily?
13 isn't high enough level to get the truely tasty Punishing Sigil or really have that many feats to play around with to get Vestige or SK running at obscene levels without sacrificing something else. Cha vs Con is really something you can only decide after knowing your party and DM.

I personally favor Con at lower levels because of Tyrannical Threat but I traditionally do not have amazing healers so the surges helped, given your belief of no Extended Rests this is probably the way to go.

I would advise Infernal starting and Twofold SK, spending 2 Feats on Templar of Urik to make your Boon force all cursed enemies to go prone or be weakened (favor cursing over marking) and then Howl of Doom for the encounter power unless you have no one else with a good MBA.

I realize it's iconic, but why Eladrin? ESA is nice and all, but are you a Striker or Defender?

Last edited:

Tussin

Villager
just looking for little things to crank out more damage if possible...

so with a 2D6 or 2D8 weapon and i go from medium to huge from a power or form, that is two steps up in size....

2D6 would go to 4D6 for two size ups? and 2D8 would become 4D8 for the huge size?

medium/large/huge

i am just debating between the gouge or executioner axe..

also i am curious of the triggering resolving... if i was a bugbear that became huge and i have an oversized weapon would it scale after the sizing?

or would my dice work like this instead?

my 1D12 axe becomes 4D6 when i am huge, would oversize bring it to 6D6? because technically gargantuan is the next class up?

wasteomana

First Post

so with a 2D6 or 2D8 weapon and i go from medium to huge from a power or form, that is two steps up in size....

2D6 would go to 4D6 for two size ups? and 2D8 would become 4D8 for the huge size?

medium/large/huge

i am just debating between the gouge or executioner axe..

also i am curious of the triggering resolving... if i was a bugbear that became huge and i have an oversized weapon would it scale after the sizing?

or would my dice work like this instead?

my 1D12 axe becomes 4D6 when i am huge, would oversize bring it to 6D6? because technically gargantuan is the next class up?

2 Things:
1) If you are looking to up damage, adding larger weapon dice is a poor way to go about it in general.
2) If you start with 1d12 as your weapon die it increases to 2d6 with the first size increase and 2d8 with the second size increase. It does not go to 4d6.

Weapon damage dice:
1d8 -> 2d4 -> 1d10 -> 1d12 -> 2d6 -> 2d8 -> 2d10

So if you start with a Mordenkraad you can eventually get to 2d10 but that is basically as far as it goes.

masteraleph

Explorer
13 isn't high enough level to get the truely tasty Punishing Sigil or really have that many feats to play around with to get Vestige or SK running at obscene levels without sacrificing something else. Cha vs Con is really something you can only decide after knowing your party and DM.

I personally favor Con at lower levels because of Tyrannical Threat but I traditionally do not have amazing healers so the surges helped, given your belief of no Extended Rests this is probably the way to go.

I would advise Infernal starting and Twofold SK, spending 2 Feats on Templar of Urik to make your Boon force all cursed enemies to go prone or be weakened (favor cursing over marking) and then Howl of Doom for the encounter power unless you have no one else with a good MBA.

I realize it's iconic, but why Eladrin? ESA is nice and all, but are you a Striker or Defender?

Awesome advice so far. Didn't notice Howl of Doom at all.

ESA and Fey Step is nice, but the only other striker is a ranged Rogue (there is a Brawler fighter, in terms of someone having a reasonable MBA). And the controller is a Cunning Bard. I figured a bit more damage wouldn't go amiss on a Defender.

MwaO

Adventurer

The basic problem is that the best damage bumps are from static bonuses applied to multi-attacks. 1d8 averages 4.5 damage, 2d8 averages 9 damage. So if you do Rain of Blows(as an example), you get +13.5 damage on average, maybe a little more for a critical hit. Yet you've sacrificed almost all feat support and ED for that little bit of extra damage.

And there are ways to get the equivalent - check out the mini-damage guide

Tussin

Villager
2 Things:
1) If you are looking to up damage, adding larger weapon dice is a poor way to go about it in general.
2) If you start with 1d12 as your weapon die it increases to 2d6 with the first size increase and 2d8 with the second size increase. It does not go to 4d6.

Weapon damage dice:
1d8 -> 2d4 -> 1d10 -> 1d12 -> 2d6 -> 2d8 -> 2d10

So if you start with a Mordenkraad you can eventually get to 2d10 but that is basically as far as it goes.

so does size not increase weapon die ever? what is this chart regarding monsters only?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm under the weapon size text

MwaO

Adventurer
so does size not increase weapon die ever? what is this chart regarding monsters only?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm under the weapon size text

That's a 3.5 chart and has nothing to do with 4e other than the initial numbers match up well...

Damage tends to be a "I'm a X CR creature and therefore I should average about Y damage." in 4e, not some random hodgepodge of "Wait, he's wielding a great sword with a 25 strength, but it happens to be Tuesday, so..."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases