D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

I just decided to get the off-line 4E character builder and have immediately run into a problem. For some reason I can't seem to pick the Hybrid Talent feat a second time. The text clearly states it can be taken multiple times, and there aren't any additional prerequisites for taking it a second time. Is this a limitation of the builder or is there something I'm missing? I have CBLoader as well. If you want to know the exact version I'm using send me a PM and I'll share it. Hopefully there's still someone out there looking at this old topic.

MwaO

Adventurer
I just decided to get the off-line 4E character builder and have immediately run into a problem. For some reason I can't seem to pick the Hybrid Talent feat a second time. The text clearly states it can be taken multiple times, and there aren't any additional prerequisites for taking it a second time. Is this a limitation of the builder or is there something I'm missing? I have CBLoader as well. If you want to know the exact version I'm using send me a PM and I'll share it. Hopefully there's still someone out there looking at this old topic.
You're only allowed to take the feat a second time if you're going Paragon Hybrid

Easier to ask questions on the 4e Discord Server here:

You're only allowed to take the feat a second time if you're going Paragon Hybrid

Easier to ask questions on the 4e Discord Server here:

Thanks for the clarification and the invite. I was initially very confused to what I was missing about this ruling. So I re-read the rules for hybiding and the hybrid talent feat, still confused. Then I started looking up the rules for taking feats themselves and found what tripped me up. The fact that you can't take a feat multiple times unless the feat entry explicitly states otherwise. I think I internalized this rule to state; you can't take a feat multiple times unless it would apply to a different ability or skill each time. Pretty much every feat that has the "can take multiple times" works like this, like skill training, so for all these years I've been slightly miss-remembering the exact rules.

Edit: I already figured out a workaround for this. I was building a swordmage/wizard and wanted staff of defense and swordmage warding. The swordmage warding is only important for the 1 point of armor it gives. My original plan was to go swordmage warding, unarmored defense, improved swordmage warding for a total of 4 points to armor. Instead I can get that by going leather armor proficiency, hide armor proficiency, hide armor specialization. It's the same armor class, I'll just reflavor it as me using the swordmage warding. The only difference would be that I could get armor enchantments exclusive to cloth.

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
Thanks for the clarification and the invite. I was initially very confused to what I was missing about this ruling. So I re-read the rules for hybiding and the hybrid talent feat, still confused. Then I started looking up the rules for taking feats themselves and found what tripped me up. The fact that you can't take a feat multiple times unless the feat entry explicitly states otherwise. I think I internalized this rule to state; you can't take a feat multiple times unless it would apply to a different ability or skill each time. Pretty much every feat that has the "can take multiple times" works like this, like skill training, so for all these years I've been slightly miss-remembering the exact rules.

Edit: I already figured out a workaround for this. I was building a swordmage/wizard and wanted staff of defense and swordmage warding. The swordmage warding is only important for the 1 point of armor it gives. My original plan was to go swordmage warding, unarmored defense, improved swordmage warding for a total of 4 points to armor. Instead I can get that by going leather armor proficiency, hide armor proficiency, hide armor specialization. It's the same armor class, I'll just reflavor it as me using the swordmage warding. The only difference would be that I could get armor enchantments exclusive to cloth.
Basically. Just in general though, if you're getting +1 AC at the cost of a feat, it probably shouldn't be worth it to you — on average, it maybe makes 1 in 40 attacks miss you(because say half attacks don't go after AC), meaning every 5 combats or so on average, you get missed because of it.

Basically. Just in general though, if you're getting +1 AC at the cost of a feat, it probably shouldn't be worth it to you — on average, it maybe makes 1 in 40 attacks miss you(because say half attacks don't go after AC), meaning every 5 combats or so on average, you get missed because of it.

Well, that kinda gets into the whole character concept as a whole. Probably more of a discussion for a dedicated thread.

I've just signed up to discord and am looking at how it works. If I wanted to make a detailed post about my build with a couple of related questions, should I create a new thread for it or just post it to # build chat section?

MwaO

Adventurer
Well, that kinda gets into the whole character concept as a whole. Probably more of a discussion for a dedicated thread.

I've just signed up to discord and am looking at how it works. If I wanted to make a detailed post about my build with a couple of related questions, should I create a new thread for it or just post it to # build chat section?
Just post to build chat

Remove ads