D&D 4E 4E boon or bust for Old School support?

Treebore

First Post
Mythmere1 said:
Where can one find the information on the Wilderlands stuff (particularly C&C) - I've seen the 3e campaign itself, and it looks pretty cool. While I'm not interested in using the campaign, I'd love to see some old Judges Guild type material done with an old school system.

Frankly, I think that any opposition between OSRIC and C&C is misguided and silly - both in terms of those who bash on C&C and in terms of the way TLG puts a gag order on discussions about OSRIC and OSRIC products. Old school modules are "quality" modules based much more on the creativity than on the tiny lines of numbers that follow the descriptions. And I'm saying this as the "initial author" of OSRIC. I have no problem with the idea of running a module written for C&C.

I think the real divide between modules has to do with the structure (event based vs location based) and the fantasy feel that drives it (Leiber/Vance vs Howard/Moorcock). The quality of the map and its implied flowchart is key, but that also has nothing to do with the rules used.

The C&C and OSRIC "communities" need to unite - and they can - to drive the market for all the 1e compatible resources. It shouldn't matter whether the rules used are C&C or not. I submit that what we're really all about is producing modules with high creativity (in terms of traps, monsters, etc) and good maps and player choices, not choked with stat blocks. That's the real issue.

I agree with you Myth, and I still say "SHROOMS RULE!", but unfortunately the Trolls don't agree with me. IF OSRIC was as illegal as they fear it to be, then I am sure WOTC would have already acted. Still, they insist on a need to be "careful". :confused:

Treebore

First Post
Mythmere1 said:
Where can one find the information on the Wilderlands stuff (particularly C&C) -

Wilderlands JG style goodies

I also think Goodmans 3E ization of Citadel of Fire and Badabaskar are pretty well done. I even like the old school, but highly useable, mapping. Despite others negative comments about the maps.

Plus Necromancers City of Brass is just pure gaming goodness for any "generation" of gamer!

Mythmere1 said:
Where can one find the information on the Wilderlands stuff (particularly C&C)
Here's the site for Adventure Games Publishing. The XXXi product is an expanded version of the Tell Qa material given out on Free RPG Day; there's a preview available on the web site. AGP is also putting out a bi-monthly magazine, Adventure Games Journal; each installment will include Wilderlands/C&C material. James tends to post info at the Necromancer Games Judges Guild forums, and also at the Troll Lord forums.

Also not to be missed is the free C&C material from Gabor Lux (Melan). It's great stuff. (You're probably already aware of these, Myth, but I'll post them anyway). Check out:
Garden of al-Astorion
The House of Rogat Demazien
Systema Tartarobasis

Frankly, I think that any opposition between OSRIC and C&C is misguided and silly...
I agree. While I've gradually come to the realization that the older editions (and especially OD&D) best fit my style and preferences, I've been playing C&C for quite a while, and I think it's a fine system.

Treebore

First Post
green slime said:
Actually, what is really surprising, is the lack of generic adventures. Adventures, which story is not dependant on game mechanics.

Thats because the publishers say that such adventures won't sell enough copies. That fully statted out NPC's and monsters are a must. I have to say they are right from what I have seen for reasons people buy modules.

green slime

First Post
Treebore said:
Thats because the publishers say that such adventures won't sell enough copies. That fully statted out NPC's and monsters are a must. I have to say they are right from what I have seen for reasons people buy modules.

Which is even wierder when you consider the amount of tweeking and altering people declare they do to the adventures they buy prior to actual play.

Valiant

First Post
Uder said:
I think it's more that they have questions about the legality of OSRIC, and since they are working with EGG, consider giving his work away for free to be somewhat tasteless.

I don't entirely share these views, but I can understand them.

Wait, your saying that OSRIC is illegal so no one can discuss it?

Treebore

First Post
green slime said:
Which is even wierder when you consider the amount of tweeking and altering people declare they do to the adventures they buy prior to actual play.

Well, I wasn't trying to say a heavy amount of irony didn't exist.

;)

Treebore

First Post
Valiant said:
Wait, your saying that OSRIC is illegal so no one can discuss it?

No, no one said that. People just seriously question the legality of OSRIC. Despite the fact that WOTC has made no legal move against it with over two years of time, with numerous products being sold to support it.

Which to me means that OSRIC is very legal.

If it wasn't, WOTC would have made legal moves as quickly as they did with every other company that stepped on their property without permission.

So I have every reason to believe Papersandpaychecks assertions about WOTC and he discussing OSRIC, and WOTC being happy with how it is being done.

Remove ads