4E Class Survivor - Round 15 (To determine the final 3)

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Fighter

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Rogue

Votes: 30 20.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 64 43.0%
  • Wizard

Votes: 41 27.5%

• Poll closed .

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the actual roots were Fighting Man, Magic-User and Cleric. The Thief came later.

Yeah but the distinction between MU and Cleric was a false game dicotomy without actual reflection in myth and legend so when the thief entered the picture our brains automatically merged them again.... Gandalf the primordial Wizard had divine empowerment.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
Yeah but the distinction between MU and Cleric was a false game dicotomy without actual reflection in myth and legend so when the thief entered the picture our brains automatically merged them again.... Gandalf the primordial Wizard had divine empowerment.
I was under the impression that many of the cleric's spells had their roots in Biblical miracles (sticks to snakes, part water, cure blindness, raise dead, etc.) whereas magic-user spells were more "generically magical".

Klaus

First Post
I think the actual roots were Fighting Man, Magic-User and Cleric. The Thief came later.
You're right, but the Cleric began as a mix of Fighting Man and Magic-User (he can use weapons, armor and spells!). The Thief added something new to the mix.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I was under the impression that many of the cleric's spells had their roots in Biblical miracles (sticks to snakes, part water, cure blindness, raise dead, etc.) whereas magic-user spells were more "generically magical".

In myth and legend the most common spells attributed to "anyone" started with healing... sound familiar?... the idea that there was ever a generically magical is more than a bit under supported.

One mans evil warlock/witch was anothers holy or wiseman miracle worker depending on which religion you werea promoter of. I think you can go way back to early babylon finding that again and again.

Jewish faith with their very intellectual rabbi had a whole slew of techniques for detecting which you were dealing with ... they introduced the third category ... a fake ... an illusion maker who may be entertaining even... who's miracles just plain weren't.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Religions like to claim the other guys only had spiteful poisoning etc magics because "they" were evil... where as we only preyed for angels and plagues to strike down our enemies... ummm I mean we only preyed for our protection yeh yeh that is the ticket.

Remove ads