• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] Combat Tracker Utility

Mortaneus

First Post
Another new version is up!

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.3.2
(URL disabled, look below for new version)

Changes:
  • Effects will now automatically drop off targets if they are of the 'Until start/end' variety. (automatic power recharge, saving throws, etc are in the works)
  • Changing the selection on the main list with the arrow keys now works
  • Both Global and Individual notes are now saved with the encounter

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Well, don't let me discourage you. The more the merrier! :)

Also, good idea working on your WPF skills...it's an interesting critter, though I've found that WPF in VB.NET 2008 is a lot less user-friendly than developing with Windows Forms.

Any recommendations for getting into it?
I'm a web developer, so I'm actually more interested in Silverlight. WPF is mainly because there's so much synergy between the two and I wanted to be able to save the encounter output to a local file. I'm really just starting to learn this generation of UI, myself. Usually, I pick a game-related need and start putzing with a computer-based solution just so I have something interesting to work on.

Coming from HTML/ASPX, the markup doesn't throw me so much, though it is different. I'm having a harder time with asyncronous calls and being able to modify the UI from the code-behind. I was really happy with "LINQ In Action" from Manning Press (manning.com) and have been considering getting the "Silverlight in Action" early access book for SL3 (PDF chapters available as the author finishes them). Otherwise, I've been flailing about and using Google/Bing/MSDN as needed.

So, what do I do behind the screen, other than run encounters? I'd say build adventures, but I'm using the SoW AP this time, rather than homebrewing. After using your app this week, I can honestly say my biggest time constraint is drawing the darn battle maps for the minis.

Mortaneus

First Post
I'm a web developer, so I'm actually more interested in Silverlight. WPF is mainly because there's so much synergy between the two and I wanted to be able to save the encounter output to a local file. I'm really just starting to learn this generation of UI, myself. Usually, I pick a game-related need and start putzing with a computer-based solution just so I have something interesting to work on.

Coming from HTML/ASPX, the markup doesn't throw me so much, though it is different. I'm having a harder time with asyncronous calls and being able to modify the UI from the code-behind. I was really happy with "LINQ In Action" from Manning Press (manning.com) and have been considering getting the "Silverlight in Action" early access book for SL3 (PDF chapters available as the author finishes them). Otherwise, I've been flailing about and using Google/Bing/MSDN as needed.

So, what do I do behind the screen, other than run encounters? I'd say build adventures, but I'm using the SoW AP this time, rather than homebrewing. After using your app this week, I can honestly say my biggest time constraint is drawing the darn battle maps for the minis.

Hrm...interesting. I may have to see if I can chase those books down.

Personally, I'm coming at it from the other side. I'm a professional business-logic developer, mostly, and am now starting to pick up stuff on the interface side of the fence.

As far as the mapping side of things, my group uses a 1 1/4" square grid printed on a poster-size piece of paper (about $10 at Kinko's). We then got a big sheet of 1/8" thick plexiglass from Home Depot (cost about $30), and we use dry erase markers on it over the grid. It works beautifully. I can usually sketch out a map in under a minute or two, and the marks come off with a basic whiteboard eraser.

Oompa

First Post
I am getting an error, when i press "roll all initiatives"

The error is in dutch so i dont know if you can read it :)

Mortaneus

First Post
I am getting an error, when i press "roll all initiatives"

The error is in dutch so i dont know if you can read it :)

Hrm...I'm not getting any errors...

What did you have loaded when you hit it? What is the content of the message? I'm sure I can get an auto-translate or something.

Oompa

First Post
Hrm...I'm not getting any errors...

What did you have loaded when you hit it? What is the content of the message? I'm sure I can get an auto-translate or something.

I will post the actual error when i get home, i just deleted the old file that you start the program with and used the newer one (kept the library file).
Character import worked fine, but when i roll the initiative button it keeps giving me the error and the option to ignore it or shut the program down.

Ignoring the error will get me the same error again right away..

Oompa

First Post
In dutch, off to bed :D

Zie het einde van dit bericht voor meer informatie over het aanroepen
van JIT-foutopsporing (Just In Time) in plaats van dit dialoogvenster.

************** Tekst van uitzondering **************
System.NullReferenceException: De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.
bij DnD4e_Combat_Manager.Combatant.get_sCombatNotes()
bij DnD4e_Combat_Manager.frmTracker.StatDataLoad()
bij DnD4e_Combat_Manager.frmTracker.UpdateFromClass()
bij DnD4e_Combat_Manager.frmTracker.menuRollAllInit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bij DnD4e_Combat_Manager.frmTracker.pbRollAllInit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladen assembly's **************
mscorlib
Assembly-versie: 2.0.0.0
Win32-versie: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DnD4e Combat Manager
Assembly-versie: 1.3.2.0
Win32-versie: 1.3.2.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Tim/Downloads/DnD4e%20Combat%20Manager.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly-versie: 8.0.0.0
Win32-versie: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32-versie: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_nl_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
System.Core
Assembly-versie: 3.5.0.0
Win32-versie: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT-foutopsporing **************
Als u JIT-foutopsporing wilt inschakelen, moet in het configuratiebestand voor deze
toepassing of computer (machine.config) de waarde
jitDebugging in het gedeelte system.windows.forms zijn ingesteld.
De toepassing moet ook zijn gecompileerd terwijl foutopsporing
was ingeschakeld.

Bijvoorbeeld:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wanneer JIT-foutopsporing is ingeschakeld, worden onverwerkte uitzonderingen
naar het JIT-foutopsporingsprogramma gestuurd dat op de computer is geregistreerd
en worden niet door dit dialoogvenster verwerkt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads