4e D&D GSL Live

kunadam

Adventurer
BSF said:
That is what makes the GSL look weird to me. It precludes the type of products that I prefer and that undermines the likelihood that I will support the game with my consumer dollars. I would like to think that they could have crafted a license that would support the game in the ways I like to use it as well as in ways that WotC would like to see it used. But that might be a bit too idealistic.
My feeling exactly.
If I remember correctly the best 3.x book was voted to be Unearthed Arcana, a book about tweaking the rules. That was the only D&D product that I bought when it appeared (others I did only well after release, and when I was able to read some reviews)

megasycophant

First Post
Gilwen said:
... it already seems to be reading like a magic game with some of the rules and the booster books that are planned. I'm waiting for WOTC to come out with their own power cards and other card accessories to play with.
I'm so surprised that this is the first I've heard this. It's just what I've thought all along as well -- the rules read like M:tG cards. My immediate reaction was to think it would be easier to track things if I created decks for players. (I'll refrain from giving my $0.02 on my preferences regarding whether I think "D&D" should make me feel that way.)

elnopintan

First Post
Lizard said:
Yes. Precisely.

I honestly do not know why they bothered with any license at all; as written, they will get only minimal benefits from having it.

Because this license has clauses to force people to not continue supporting OGL. If it works, this will eventually kill OGL publishing.

Ydars

Explorer
The really worrying thing, for me as a D&D customer, is the way the GSL seems to enshrine lots of the fluff of D&D as "uneditable" such that no 3PP can produce anything other than vaniila fantasy.

Quite frankly, this sort of product is exactly what most people who buy 3PPs seem to HATE; they want the edge, the different vision and slant on D&D.

BY potentially shutting 3PPs from producing "their" takes on D&D, I think the community will be infinitely impoverished and the game of D&D will enjoy a much reduced life-span.

This is assuming that anyone actually signs the GSL and produces anything for 4E; so far it does not seem likely that much is going to come out.

Henry

Autoexreginated
elnopintan said:
Because this license has clauses to force people to not continue supporting OGL. If it works, this will eventually kill OGL publishing.
That part I seriously doubt will kill OGL gaming, because even Clark, the most gung-ho person I know for 4e, is holding back his biggest IP from the GSL.

Aegir

First Post
Henry said:
That part I seriously doubt will kill OGL gaming, because even Clark, the most gung-ho person I know for 4e, is holding back his biggest IP from the GSL.

I think this will end up being a big part of why the OGL is not only not killed, but possibly strengthened. Punlishers are simply not going to publish any of their really important IPs under the GSL; they'll put out stand-alone splats that promote their brand and act as a sign of quality to the 4e customer base, then hope that some will come back and buy their OGL content, while its popular with the crowd that never moved to 4e.

The biggest question is whether the OGL will stay alive enough with fresh, new releases to keep a sizable fanbase alive. If it does that then it may hang onto a few more people then it would've otherwise.

Orcus

First Post
see said:
Interesting news on Goodman Games going 4e . . . they've announced their 4e Dungeon Crawl Classics will be released in August and in stores in early September.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20164#p20164
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20182#p20182

That release date seems to rule out using the GSL.

So, are they going 4e without a license, with a special license from WotC, or what?

I cant seem to figure out what is going on with this.

I know Joe gave away a free gazetteer at FreeRPG day for 4E. I also see that his 3 new DCCs are listed as being for 4E. And, per his post on his boards, he seems to confirm those products will be released in August. I want to see what the actual word is on this.

Clark

Remove ads