4e D&D GSL Live

Yair

Community Supporter

Pinotage

Explorer
see said:
That release date seems to rule out using the GSL.

So, are they going 4e without a license, with a special license from WotC, or what?

Weird. But good news in a way. I wonder if they paid the $5000 or something. I know it wasn't required but I wonder if they didn't do that before even seeing the GSL back in February.

Either way, it'll be nice to see DCCs for 4e.

Pinotage

Ydars

Explorer
Goodman have now put up a 4th product for 4E that is listed as available from August. All the products appear to have prices so they aren't getting around things via the "freebies" route.

Does anyone know anything else? I can't help but notice that NO-WHERE are the words Dungeons and Dragon mentioned in connection with these 4th edition products; they use the shorthand 4E.

I could be wrong, but something tells me that Goodman have developed products in the hope that GSL would be a safe harbour but have now decided "to hell with it" and will publish them without a license.

I must emphasise that this is pure speculation; I just don't know why they wouldn't use the D&D logo or the words Dungeon and Dragons unless they were trying to avoid legal problems.

Ydars

Explorer
Davemage;l don't count on it! I can hear the bulldozers firing up as everyone joins in on the "wacky races" to produce 4E suppls before GenCon!

Now, everyone will be trying to work out what they have done and punting their own products out if it is relatively risk free.

It could be good for 4E, at least in the short-term.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
When I talked to Goodman Games at the GAMA Trade Show they had the modules in question on display (at least the covers). When I talked to them they said they had everything done except the monsters which just needed to be dropped in. Given the restrictions of the SRD which don't allow statblocks of existing monsters anyway it wouldn't seem that had to skip the GSL and SRD anyway. I could see them dropping monsters in without statblocks and just say things like 2x Level 1 Kobold and 3x Level 4 Orc and let people figure out for themselves to look up something similar in the MM.

Orcus said:
I cant seem to figure out what is going on with this.

I know Joe gave away a free gazetteer at FreeRPG day for 4E. I also see that his 3 new DCCs are listed as being for 4E. And, per his post on his boards, he seems to confirm those products will be released in August. I want to see what the actual word is on this.
What is there to figure out? There are only 3 possibilities and one of them isn't worth speculating about:

1) Special license with Wizards
2) No D&D logo, just the wild and wooly world of copyright law
3) Insanity

#3 can't really be discussed meaningfully or respectfully so it's only here for completeness sake. Both the remaining options make one thing clear - GG is not using the GSL.

Ydars

Explorer
But this doesn't answer the question of how they have managed to do this. Do we know if they have signed up to the GSL or not and if so, why are they talking about having this stuff to sell in August; i.e. before WoTCs stated embargo date?

A lack of stat blocks doesn't get around this; unless they are trying the old "this is system neutral" dodge but since it says "for 4E" on their site, this would be a bit funny IMHO.

Ydars

Explorer
Someone pointed out on another thread that they wouldn't be able to use the logo for another few weeks even if they have signed up for GSL.

Remove ads