D&D 4E 4E Dragonborn: What Do We Know About Them?

What do we know about the Dragonborn in 4th Edition?

I was looking at Races & Classes, yesterday. they seem different and more appealing than the Dragonborn in Races of the Dragon (at least, to me).

Right now, they're one of the most interesting things about 4th Edition (at least, to me).

Do we know what they're stats would look like in 3.5e (3.75e)?

Last edited:

Hrothgar Rannúlfr said:
What do we know about the Dragonborn in 4th Edition?

I was looking at Races & Classes, yesterday. they seem different and more appealing than the Dragonborn in Races of the Dragon (at least to me).

Right now, they're one of the most interesting things about 4th Edition.

Do we know what they're stats would look like in 3.5e (3.75e)?
I don't think so. They seem to cover a niche partially held by the Half-Orc, so I guess you need to give them a Strength bonus. Since 4E will not have "balanced stat modifiers" (for a total bonus of +0 or lower), it might be a little harder to transfer their stats to 3.x standards.

I suspect they will get a bonus to Strength and Constitution, and no penalties. In 3.x, that would imply a level adjustment.

Hrothgar Rannúlfr said:
They're extremely militaristic culture reminded me a little of hobgoblins, too.

Any thoughts?
Klingons also came to mind, but I guess they come to mind by all war-like cultures.

The description so far indicates that Dragonborn often work alone or in smaller groups, IIRC. They learn about their culture from one of their parents, and then go their ways once adults.
Hobgoblin build Empires with Armies, but Dragonborn (these days, since the fall of their last great Empire) seem to be more nomands and mercenaries. (Which, by the way, makes them excellent adventuring material - they're on the move, they are there where heroes are needed. Whether they actually become one depends on the player :) )

Cam Banks

Adventurer
They're like Krynnish minotaurs in reptile outfits. Which is amusing, since Krynnish minotaurs are Klingons in bull outfits.

They are almost nothing at all like draconians other than the connection to dragons.

Cheers,
Cam

Derren

Hero
Besides the info in R&C we don't know much about Dragonborn.

They are militarist, nomadic humanoid, tailless dragons, they "invented" the more exotic weapons like the Katana which they make sometimes out of bone. They travel mostly alone or one parent with a child or in some cases as a small band of Dragonborn from the same clan.

They will likely have no good relation with Tieflings and their racial feats allows them to breath fire and/or get wings to fly. Must of them will worship Bahamut but Tiamat sects are also known.

Thanks, everyone.
Cam Banks said:
They're like Krynnish minotaurs in reptile outfits. Which is amusing, since Krynnish minotaurs are Klingons in bull outfits.

They are almost nothing at all like draconians other than the connection to dragons.
Thanks, Cam.

That does a lot to answer my question. I really like Krynn's minotaurs. Draconic minotaurs... Hmmm...

Krynn's draconians are definitely nothing like dragonborn.

To bad about no tail, though. The tieflings look rather silly with a tail. It would fit better on a dragonborn.

Intrope

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Klingons also came to mind, but I guess they come to mind by all war-like cultures.

The description so far indicates that Dragonborn often work alone or in smaller groups, IIRC. They learn about their culture from one of their parents, and then go their ways once adults.
Hobgoblin build Empires with Armies, but Dragonborn (these days, since the fall of their last great Empire) seem to be more nomands and mercenaries. (Which, by the way, makes them excellent adventuring material - they're on the move, they are there where heroes are needed. Whether they actually become one depends on the player :) )
I've been thinking of them as something of a race of (idealized) Ronin, basically; honorable, but vagabond.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I don't think so. They seem to cover a niche partially held by the Half-Orc, so I guess you need to give them a Strength bonus. Since 4E will not have "balanced stat modifiers" (for a total bonus of +0 or lower), it might be a little harder to transfer their stats to 3.x standards.

I suspect they will get a bonus to Strength and Constitution, and no penalties. In 3.x, that would imply a level adjustment.

Weren' they supposed to be good Warlords? (or was it Paladins?). Ether way, I expect strength and charisma, I have a feeling the races (at least in the PHB) are more likely to be one good physical and one good mental.

Remove ads