D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Nebulous

Legend
Lame. I can tell this is going to cause another huge endless debate about the art direction 4e is taking. 1/2 will love it, 1/2 will cry murder.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Whatever your opinion on Drizzt, he is one of, if not the most iconic character in FR. Also, that pic is pretty good overall.

So, as long as the contents are good, I'm not complaining.

kennew142

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
Drizz't on COVER!!! NOOOO! DO NOT WANT!!!!!!!!!!

Here.

Well, I guess you can't please everyone. Drizz't is an iconic FR character, one who's wildly popular with the FR fanbase, and we know he's still around 100 years after. I think it was probably as good a choice as we were going to get - considering that WOTC only seems to like covers with characters pictured on the cover.

I would also like to add that IMO Drizz't has never been the problem. It's all the folks who want to play a carbon copy in every game. I too have become fatigued with all the good drow trying to overcome their culture. But I haven't really grown fatigued with the original.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Lurks-no-More said:
Whatever your opinion on Drizzt, he is one of, if not the most iconic character in FR. Also, that pic is pretty good overall.

So, as long as the contents are good, I'm not complaining.
Spoken like a true scholar and a gentleman.

Zweischneid

First Post
Drizzt? It's a Dark Elf with twin-blades, alright! Millions upon millions of FR-Players will rejoice as WoTC decided to put their character on the cover!

Anyways, what'd you expect? FR without Drizzt'd be like D&D without a Vancian Spell System.

Kaodi

Hero
I think that the piece itself is decent, and I do not dislike Drizz't, but I do not think they are being very consistent with their direction. As we have seen, the big complaint with the Forgotten Realms is the prominence of high level NPCs. So, they sought to address this problem in the 4e conception of the setting. Yet, they play Drizz't on the cover. I am not going to say that they dropped the ball, but I think they could of done better not to be sending a mixed message.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I agree, I don't find anything wrong with the cover painting. Hasn't it been said that putting drow on a cover increases sales? I believe that James Jacobs made that comment in relation to Dungeon (but that may have been about hot drow elf chicks!).

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Charwoman Gene said:
Drizz't on COVER!!! NOOOO! DO NOT WANT!!!!!!!!!!

Here.
What *really* bothers me about that cover isn't Drizzt (heck, it even could be Elminster), but the fact that FR doesn't have a) it's own design any more, but only its 4E cover design and b) Where's my FR logo? Seemingly, FR doesn't have its own logo any more.

And this will probably apply to Eberron as well. A bit sad, I liked the different cover designs very much, as you could instantly see to which setting a book belongs and conveyed a bit of the feeling of the setting.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads