D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

It IS a placeholder; try checking the front page more often, folks... :p

Rich Baker said:
The Drizzt piece is a placeholder for the catalog, we've actually got new art commissioned. It shows a shade knight flying on a wicked-looking dragon, wheeling over the towers of a dark fortress. Very nice piece.

Cruciare

First Post
To think such reactions just from art work on the cover of a book. And then it comes out that its just a placeholder - all that wasted moaning and groaning. GOtta love the drama some bring :)

William Ronald

Explorer
You might want to check this out FR "Drizzt" cover is a placeholder. The new picture will involve one of the Shade, a dragon and a fortress.

I don't have a problem with Drizzt, and I understand the ranger two weapon style was introduced before Drizzt. (Aragorn does something like that with burning branches in the Lord of the Rings.)

In some games I have played in, there have been good or neutral drow -- and none were influenced by Drizzt. (In one case, we had a priestess of an earth goddess - a logical choice for a drow.)

Sundragon2012

First Post
Yeah instead of a character who is arguably the most popular in the Forgotten Realms and one of the most storied in all of fantasy fiction lets just slap some no-name mook "every PC" character image on the cover like those on the new PHB. That will really capitalize on FR's uniqueness...part of which is its NPCs.

[/end sarcasm]

This sounds like "Waaah, Waaah I hate Drizzt (or Elminster, the Simbul, whoever) because my PC will never be as cool as him." All I have to say about that is don't blame FR, blame your DM. I have DM'd FR for years alongside my homebrew and my player's PCs have strong allies among the power brokers of FR and indeed are in some ways their equal. I have never allowed the NPCs to show up the PCs, but there were times when they needed their help and in turn helped them accomplish their goals.

Enough with the Drizzt (Elminster, Seven Sisters, etc.) hate already. More people love those characters than ever played D&D in the FR. WoTC is smart enough see the value in well loved characters in regards to their marketing potential.

No one ever seems to hate Artemis Entreri, Manshoon, Szazz Tamm, or evil NPCs of great power. Oh yeah, because powerful bad guys are cool.

As long as I have lurked and posted on RPing boards the overwrought drama and misplaced loathing never, ever changes.

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
I just found the latest FRCS cover:

frcs.JPG

:D

Voss

First Post
William Ronald said:
You might want to check this out FR "Drizzt" cover is a placeholder. The new picture will involve one of the Shade, a dragon and a fortress.

I don't have a problem with Drizzt, and I understand the ranger two weapon style was introduced before Drizzt. (Aragorn does something like that with burning branches in the Lord of the Rings.)

Nuh-uh. Maybe in the movie version (and arguably not really twf, just flailing about with burning sticks. Not that D&D rules have any particular bearing on a movie scene...), but thats post-drizzt and twf getting everywhere in the genre. But D&D rangers getting TWF for free in 3.0? That was solely to accommodate His Whininess.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Voss said:
Nuh-uh. Maybe in the movie version (and arguably not really twf, just flailing about with burning sticks. Not that D&D rules have any particular bearing on a movie scene...), but thats post-drizzt and twf getting everywhere in the genre. But D&D rangers getting TWF for free in 3.0? That was solely to accommodate His Whininess.

Which is ironic, because the 3e writeup of Drizz't had him taking the dual-wielding feats way before he became a ranger. (In fact, if I recall he only had like two levels of ranger... which makes sense if you think of his books, where he didn't even know what rangering was until after about 800 pages of unremitting badassery.)

Remove ads