D&D 4E 4e Green Slime

the Jester

Legend
So the 4e green slime is up as a Monster Manual 2 preview on the WotC website. I just got done using it in my pickup game- it was awesome! Like much of 4e, I liked the way it actually played much better than how it read. It was very much like an encounter with green slime should be imho- a frantic scramble to stay away from it while it eats one of your friends.

frankthedm

First Post
How many slimes were there? They look capable of shutting down a party and seem to have very solid defenses.

Green Slime - Level 4 Lurker -HP 47; Bloodied 23
AC 20; Fortitude 23, Reflex 17, Will 20 - Speed 4, climb 4
clear.gif
:bmelee:
clear.gif
Engulf (standard; at-will)
clear.gif
x.gif
clear.gif
Acid
+7 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 3 acid damage, and the target is engulfed (save ends). While engulfed, the target takes ongoing 5 acid damage and is restrained. While a target is engulfed, attacks that target the green slime deal half damage to the slime and half damage to the engulfed creature. While it has a creature engulfed, the slime can make attacks only against the engulfed creature.
Rapid Dissolution
A green slime's attacks deal 1d6 extra acid damage to a creature that is taking ongoing acid damage.
Skills Stealth +11

Last edited:

Jack Colby

First Post
From the article, talking about the silly monsters of D&D: "... heck, back in 1st Edition, silly was a large part of the game in many cases."

Funny. Do they think the current edition isn't silly? I think the 4E MM has the largest number of silly creatures since the old Fiend Folio. :)

hong

WotC's bitch
From the article, talking about the silly monsters of D&D: "... heck, back in 1st Edition, silly was a large part of the game in many cases."

Funny. Do they think the current edition isn't silly? I think the 4E MM has the largest number of silly creatures since the old Fiend Folio. :)
No, the current edition is not whimsical. The current edition is metal. 1E had a healthy amount of whimsy in it, which became an unhealthy amount in some supplements.

keterys

First Post
Frankly the green slime's defenses are way too high. Other than that it looks very interesting... I've been trying to figure out whether to pull one on my group that has had a standing "Oozes, slimes, and jellies don't exist" policy since 1st edition.

I've run a couple of other oozes/jellies against them reflavored (one as a whirlwind of blood, the other as a water creature) - guess I just need an appropriate reflavoring for green slime.

chaotix42

First Post
Agreed. From the preview it seems to have the attack bonus of a 4th level monster yet the defenses of something like an 8th.

the Jester

Legend
The encounter was with three slimes. It was tough, but not unbeatable. The slimes were hard to hurt, but not impossible.

Once they figured out which defenses to hit (and stopped targeting primarily fort!) the party did much better.

Remove ads