• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e-inspired modular combat system

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I use modifiers like the DM's best friend on top of the powers so there is still a predictable core... and if the powers are used where especially appropriate they get a boost... I try to use candy rather than the stick... dont take it away make it work better when it fits the scene and mayhaps let them know it will work worse when it doesnt ;-).

I think just a few more trade off style things are similar to situationals could go a long ways to giving me some of the flexibility without diverging too far.(some times what you trade ends up not being a big deal so it makes it situational).

I wanted to give everyone power attack coming out of the box and a converse feat kind of like sure strike boost. perhaps these everyone can use power attack and sure strike effects could penalize defenses when you do them? we have to make sure opening up situational choices and tactics dont step on powers...

Or I could hae one that trades a boost to defense against melee but penalizes your defenses against ranged attacks. Perhaps everyone can take a skill roll in a previous round to set up there action whatever it is... '

notice none of these ideas are specific to the fighter.. my ideas are cross class...
I do like the wizards expand spell feat from AP ... nice tactical flexibility.

I could almost see an ability like the Blood mages becoming more universally available... but it could be seen as spending ones luck and energy in an agressive way ;-) hit points being a resource and all.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
2. This is the important part that makes all this more situational - give monsters defense bonuses (or penalties!) against particular conditions. For example a multiple legged monster could have a defense bonus "+4 vs. off-balance, +4 vs. prone" which means that he gets +4 defense against attacks that knock him off-balance or prone. Thus players have to tailor their attacks, combos, and tactics based on which conditions the monster is vulnerable to. You would also have to have a way of players figuring out which conditions the monster is vulnerable to, such as by just telling them off the bat, or with monster knowledge checks.

Good ideas there!

LostSoul

Adventurer
Cool, I would love to hear about it.

My own viewpoint is that I want what the players say to matter: "I feint high, then slash low at his legs when he moves his shield up!"

If that's not what you're going for, I will not comment further.

Cool, I would love to hear about it.

My own viewpoint is that I want what the players say to matter: "I feint high, then slash low at his legs when he moves his shield up!"

If that's not what you're going for, I will not comment further.

That might be a bit too precise for me. I'd like to make it so a character who feints a lot feels different from one who just hammers through, but I don't feel the need to have precise rules for 'feinting high, then attacking low.' I'm not sure if you want that too, or if you just used a narrative example.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
simple - direct
guided - responsive
complex - deceptive
predictive - analytical
wild - instinctive.

The above are 5 stylizations of attack instead of specifics...

Could combine with cost you are willing to pay - like will you grant combat advantage? to make things more interesting.

RigaMortus2

First Post
You will need something serious or the optimized spammer will kill the exact fun you are trying to encourage.
Another problem is how same does same have to be... before it warrants the penalty... and is minus 2 sufficient... it could be a minus 2 the second time in the entire encounter for some effects." I'd have to be an idiot to let him pull that twice."

The thief paragon path which allowed one to reuse a move if you rolled really well could give an idea... recover the points and no penalty for reuse.

Instead of giving a penalty for doing the same trick over and over again, why not give a bonus (+1) for doing a different trick than the last one you just pulled off? If it's not overpowered, a cumulative +1 bonus each round you do something unique...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Instead of giving a penalty for doing the same trick over and over again, why not give a bonus (+1) for doing a different trick than the last one you just pulled off? If it's not overpowered, a cumulative +1 bonus each round you do something unique...

not repetitive rewards are more positive... grant you that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads