D&D 4E 4E is to be announced at GenCon?

Hussar

Legend
I can't really see it honestly.

Gen Con is going to be when they talk about the DI. I highly, highly doubt, considering the amount of flak they are going to take over the DI, that they would chuck 4e onto the bbq as well.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Cam Banks said:
I was under the impression that WotC was going to do all of their announcements at D&D Experience from now on, rather than GenCon.

That was the impression I had, as well. Announce at D&D Experience and release at Gencon. I can't imagine why they would want to release anywhere else than the biggest convention and I had thought the move to making announcements at D&D XP allowed them to avoid the long year between announcement and release.

Plus, I can't imagine WotC wanting to risk damaging sales of other 3.5 products currently on the upcoming schedule by announcing 4E at this time. Don't they have scheduled 3.5 releases through the end of the year, maybe even into 2008? Wouldn't announcing a change in edition harpoon sales of those products?

I figured we could gage if WotC would announce 4E at the next D&D XP by if they had any 3.5 products scheduled for after February 2008, which we'd probably be able to tell by November or December of 2007 given how early Amazon usually gets that information updated.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
I personally can't wait for 4th edition. The writing is already on the wall, with products such as ToB and Star Wars: Saga Edition, on which direction the game is going.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Hussar said:

Gen Con is going to be when they talk about the DI. I highly, highly doubt, considering the amount of flak they are going to take over the DI, that they would chuck 4e onto the bbq as well.

Yup. There's another thing. I also figured they'd want to have DI rolling for a while, and the subscription base built up, so they could use it to preview 4E, post announcement.

Naw. The timing on this just makes no sense. Why on earth would they make such a prediction?

marune

First Post
4E + DI would be a great idea for WoTC because it's hardly possible that they can create a character editor (to replace eTools) online with so many options under 3.5 rules.

Garnfellow

Explorer
A very nice scoop, but an incredibly lame and misleading thread title.

"Necromancer's Thoughts on 4e and their Releases" would be less colorful but a lot more appropriate.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Garnfellow said:
A very nice scoop, but an incredibly lame and misleading thread title.

"Necromancer's Thoughts on 4e and their Releases" would be less colorful but a lot more appropriate.

QFT.

Also, while I can appreciate Bill's speculation, it made me cringe. The idea that a publisher is more "in the know" tends to accompany such rumors, lending them undue credence.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My prediction is that 4e will keep its d20 origins foremost, and will be announced in a year beginning with 20.

Cheers, -- N

KB9JMQ

First Post
Hussar said:

I completely agree. The DI is THE big news for quite some time and Wizards will ride that love/hate wave for a while before mentioning 4th Edition.

Murrdox

First Post
Completely out of my butt - I doubt we'll be seeing any concrete news or release about 4E until 2010. 3.5 still has a heck of a lot of juice in her, and WotC seems to have quite a few releases that are still up and coming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases