• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 4e Levels 1-30 = 3e Levels 1-30?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Honestly, when it comes to comparisons, the maths will be so different there'll be no direct comparison.

The question to ask is: at what levels do the game-changing magics come online?

Raise Dead
Teleport
Plane Shift
Commune
Wish
etc.

Cheers!

hong

WotC's bitch
MerricB said:
Honestly, when it comes to comparisons, the maths will be so different there'll be no direct comparison.

Raise Dead
Teleport
Plane Shift
Commune
Wish
etc.

Cheers!
Yeah, when you get down to it, this is the core issue. I don't think WotC ever gave a straight answer to that one... but then I don't think anybody ever stated the question clearly either.

Henrix

Explorer
MerricB said:
Hopefully so that it ties in with the three tiers, so that the game changes at level 10 and 20 (or is that 11 and 21?).

Amadan

First Post
Hopefully, their 'tiered' approach will help with balancing the math problems across levels. You won't have to worry about balancing the math across 30 levels, only across 10 [as they've said the rules for each tier will be slightly different.]

frankthedm

First Post
MerricB said:

Well, I expect that 4E will put the venture back into adventure, so expect less 'portation.

Raise Dead: I bet around 10th, they want players to be able to keep thier 'build'.
Teleport: 10+ for a version that will work to certain points. It can get you back to a town you have been to, but I guarentee you it won't be giving you a longshot chance to skip the dungeon and go directly to the BBEG.
Plane Shift 20+ and it will be willing targets only
Wish / Miracle: Gone as a spell or the last spell level there is with a LOT more limits than even 3e's wish. maybe a new spell will be made to undo major misfortune.

Last edited:

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
MerricB said:

Raise Dead
Teleport
Plane Shift
Commune
Wish
etc.

Cheers!

Don't forget fly [aka avoid all travel hazards & pits] and fireball [take out an entire room with one spell]

Lackhand

First Post
I actually disagree that the fireball is a paradigm shift. Yes, it takes out a room in a round, but it doesn't require the same re-flow of an adventure that fly does.

Sure, it changes the feel of the game. But it doesn't change the narrative flow of it, that much.

YMMV, of course!

The question is, how much hp does your "average" 30th level fighter have? Already at higher levels in D&D, there is something absurd about the super-heroish scale of power. How would you translate this scenario into D&D game terms: An experienced fighter hero gets cornered by five rookie guards armed with crossbows. The guards warn the fighter: stand still, or we will shoot. The fighter, not wanting a bolt or three in his chest, complies. In D&D, the fighter would have just uttered "f*** it, I can take twenty direct hits and not go down." Some characters in my campaign, when chased by enemies across rooftops (and spires and towers), have just let themselves fall down to the ground, not caring about the falling damage. When I ask them why they are so suicidal, they just reply: We don't care about the damage, we have vast amounts of hit points.

The hp inflation increased in 3E when compared to 2E, will there be a similar increase in 4E?

Remove ads