• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4E only] What kind of miniatures do you use, if any?

What do you primarily use for miniatures?

• D&D Miniatures (plastic)

Votes: 106 57.9%
  • Metal miniatures

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Chits, markers, or other paper/cardboard products

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • Dice, coins, bottle caps and various household items

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • None - I am mini-free

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • I am Lacutus of Borg, you will be assimilated

Votes: 8 4.4%

captainspud

First Post
captainspud, welcome to EnWorld!
Thanks. I much prefer the atmosphere here than on the official forums. :)

Loved your pics, but I ended up with a question:

¿How do you "make your own models from scratch"??:confused:
I sculpt them from epoxy putty (Green Stuff). You can see the greens for three of those models here:

I really like sculpting minis in general, and RPG minis in particular because each one gets to be unique instead of having to fit a design scheme (unlike models I make for my wargame armies).

It takes between 2 and 5 weeks to sculpt each one, though, so it's only practical for player minis. :)

Andramelech

First Post
I don't use the miniatures I have anymore. I just keep them for nostalgia I guess. I was tired of them getting knocked over, and taking up too much table space. I didn't like the sloppy drawings on my battlemap either. D&D tiles just seemed like another expense for something that wasn't very custom. I like using maptool. I can make any token I want on maptool. I also don't have to use soda rings or whatever to mark conditions. Conditions are shown on the tokens easily. I can make giant ass maps for missile battles, and only show as much of the map as I need. I thought my players might not like it, but they all love it. I have a wireless mouse that gets passed around to whoever's turn it is. The only thing I miss about miniatures is painting them, but I can get my creativity fix from drawing up new maps.

Zaran

Adventurer
Wow I find it hard to believe that people use the plastic minis. I have yet to see a good assortment of monsters from WotC. I picked Chits. We use tokens from Fiery Dragon or in another game the GM uses dry erase markers. In both games the PCs are all metal.

Minifig

First Post
Our DM actually said we're allowed to use whatever we want.. as long as they're not too big.

One of the people in our group uses a Captain America Hero-click, when he arrives I plan to use:

2jcfxw1.jpg

As I'm a LEGO collector, though he'll have a different helmet.

Minifig

First Post
Sorry to revive this thread.. but I'm excited..

He arrived!

My D&D Mini!

MyD&DMini.png

(That's my mug in the background.. :D.)

I took the head off the Minifig it came with, and put on the LEGO Halloween Werewolf head (as I'm a Wilden, and its like the only thing that I can think of that would look brown like bark..) and took off the helm that came with him, changed it over to the gold one to match the shield and the changed the blue plume in the original gold helm and to a green one on it so it matched the green of the dragon on the shield.

I told you guys.. I'm a huge LEGO collector. :]

SunRaven01

First Post
I use One Monk style paper minis. By being able to field a mini for every bad guy on the table, it's harder for my players to know ahead of time what are minions, and what are standard monsters.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
For one game we use the DDM options for monsters and PCs, with the exception of mine which is a painted Reper fig.

In my other 4E game we used painted Reaper figs for the PCs and monsters. That will likely continue in the new campaign with that group.

Tiitha

First Post
My group uses a whole combination of things for NPCs and monsters. We mainly use colored glass stones and dice. For our PCs, we use metal minis (which we're all too lazy and cheap to paint), and I've just started to collect DDM. We only have 3 booster packs of DDM so we're very limited with those right now. I plan to get a lot more over time.

I also use small plastic toys when appropriate. I have a Pumbaa figurine that's perfect for a large sized direboar.

Later on, I want to add those cardboard tokens from the Monster's Vault. Whatever is available to me that works, I'll use it!

Shin Okada

Explorer
Last week, we played a "Make your favorite fiction character in D&D 4e rule" session. Heroes of multiverse are gathered together by Mordenkeinen to fight great evil.

As appropriate minis were not available, I made paper counters for those PCs.

P1010002.JPG

Oh, and and there actually were appropriate mini to represent a shaman PC (Satoshi/Ash)'s spirit companion(s).:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads