D&D General Do You D&D OSR?

Do You D&D OSR?

• I played TSR D&D when it was current and now I play OSR games exclusively or nearly exclusively.

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and now play OSR games along with WotC D&D.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games or WotC D&D.

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games but DO play WotC D&D.

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current; now I play OSR games exclusively or nearly exclusively.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and now play OSR games along with WotC D&D.

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games or WotC D&D.

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games but DO play WotC D&D.

Votes: 13 8.1%

Aldarc

Legend
While I admire OSR rule sets like OSE/Dolmenwood, I often find myself a bit more drawn to "OSR in spirit" games that also modernize the game without feeling a need to be mostly compatible with older editions of D&D.

So if I want OSR, I mostly do OSR-adjacent or NuSR:
  • Odd-like Games: Into the Odd, Mausritter, Cairn, Runecairn, etc.
  • Black Hack: also Black Sword Hack
  • Index Card RPG
  • Worlds/Stars Without Number
  • Dragonbane

overgeeked

B/X Known World
While I admire OSR rule sets like OSE/Dolmenwood, I often find myself a bit more drawn to "OSR in spirit" games that also modernize the game without feeling a need to be mostly compatible with older editions of D&D.

• Index Card RPG
  • Dragonbane
All fantastic games.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

• Index Card RPG
  • Dragonbane

All fantastic games.

I keep meaning to order the hardcopy of Worlds Without Number.

Remathilis

Legend
I have played Basic (BECMI/RC) 2e, 3e, 4e, 5e.
I also played Basic Fantasy and PF1 during the wilderness years of 4e once we decided we didn't like it.

I would be open to OSR style games that mix a connection of OS simplicity with modern updates (upwards AC, etc). BFRPG felt like Basic D&D with modern revisions. But my group prefers a bit more crunch and 5e so far has been the right mix of easy to run and crunchy.

Aldarc

Legend
I would be open to OSR style games that mix a connection of OS simplicity with modern updates (upwards AC, etc). BFRPG felt like Basic D&D with modern revisions. But my group prefers a bit more crunch and 5e so far has been the right mix of easy to run and crunchy.
Have you looked into Worlds Without Number? It is a three class + hybrid class system, but it also features essentially skills, feats, and optional subclass/alternate class options.

I started with 2E, played some 3E. These days it's 5E, but recently someone in our group wanted to run Dolmenwood using OSE. We played a couple of adventures before deciding it's not the game for us, so we're planning to convert the campaign to 5E.

Started with Black Box Basic and Rules Cyclopedia then 2e. I got back into the hobby around 2013 with 3.5 and then 5e, and played a good bit of 5 over years, but felt something was missing. Returned to dungeon crawling with The Black Hack and Mork Borg and then all the rest of the OSR. My favorite OSR game is Mausritter. Excited to play in Dolmenwood this fall...I mean winter (sigh, kickstarter delay...)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I played BECMI, 1e and 2e extensively when they were current, and for quite a while beyond. Right now, in addition to my Level Up games and my WotC 5e game with the kids, I am deeply interested in DCC, WWN & SWN, ACKS, and Shadowdark. Curious about OSE as well.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads