D&D General Do You D&D OSR?

Do You D&D OSR?

• I played TSR D&D when it was current and now I play OSR games exclusively or nearly exclusively.

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and now play OSR games along with WotC D&D.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games or WotC D&D.

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games but DO play WotC D&D.

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current; now I play OSR games exclusively or nearly exclusively.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and now play OSR games along with WotC D&D.

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games or WotC D&D.

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games but DO play WotC D&D.

Votes: 13 8.1%

Thomas Shey

Legend
I got started with OD&D, but for the most part have not considered WOTC's versions (or even later TSR versions) interesting. That said, I'm not primarily an F20 fan in the first place, so...

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

mamba

Legend
Now, he's what I want to know. In what possible world is anyone ever justified in asserting, as a general principle, that there is always some unrelated but existing published game Z where I > Z > X + Y₁ + Y₂ + … + Yₙ?
it’s a good rule of thumb, not a law of nature… if you spend say 50 hours tweaking 5e so it is more to your liking, there is a good chance you could have found a different game as a base that requires fewer hours of tweaking.

To me the problem is more in being aware of / finding that game. If you spend 40 hours finding it, you no longer saved time vs starting with 5e as the base

The assumption is that the base system is always a means to an end rather than an end in and of itself. It's a startlingly poor assumption for how pervasive it is.
if the base system were the end, you would not spend 50 hours moving away from it

If you want something similar to 5e, there still are plenty of options that get you closer to what you actually want than 5e itself.

Is that true for literally any direction you could go in? No, I am sure you can find something really weird where this is not the case, just to prove the point, but in many cases there is

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Pretty close to the only tho.
I'm pretty sure I saw Retreater use it just earlier today.

Edit: Maybe not, but a quick search pulled up used by Pedantic, Joshua Randell and (Abdoukin?) using it. Its probably just more visible from me because I post a lot, and as I said, I've been hanging with 13A people a lot lately.

It don’t take a big hammer to give a minimum taste of OS to 5ed.
  • Roll scores. That’s official.
  • If rolled score is not enough use 3d6 instead!
  • Roll hit points after level 1. That is official too. Even CR do it.
  • No Feat, no MC. Also official.
  • Use PHB only for PCs. Quite official.
The building of encounter in term of CR and Xp budget are not rules but rather guidelines. So without breaking any rules you can just do what you feel appropriate for your game.

No rules prevent attacking down PCs.

Some house rules may be useful. Banning leomund tiny hut and rope trick can easily add some tension in the resting process without rebuilding the entire game.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads