• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E or 3.5 or something else - what's in your future?

How are you planning on playing D&D after 4E is out?

• I'm going 4E all the way!

Votes: 61 20.9%
  • I'm going to play 3.x and 4E

Votes: 36 12.3%
  • I'm staying with 3.x, and may or may not use some 4E rules as house rules

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • Other (which I explain below in superior fashion)

Votes: 71 24.3%

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ok, now that the D&D Experience is behind us, it's time (once again) to see what EN World users are planning to do.

Last edited:

I don't know what to answer. I think it's about 80% likely I'll switch to 4E. But I'm still waiting to get my hands on the books before making up my mind.

Elephant

First Post
I voted "other" - I plan to continue playing 3.5, perhaps using 4e-based house rules. If someone is running a fun 4e game, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Regardless, I'm not buying any 4e material unless I play a 4e game that makes me go "OMG this is the best game ever!"

...but considering my revulsion for some of the 4e terms I see bandied about (like power sources and warlord as a class name), that's unlikely.

ejja_1

First Post
Ill give 4th ed a try once my buddies have checked it out, and if it works then I'll nab me some books. Till then I plan on picking up whatever 3.X goodness that can be had cheap.

Either way it's win/win for me.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Other: I'm going to play a hell of a lot of Spirit of the Century and other FATE stuff.

...and buy the 4e books and try to play that too :D

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Let's see... just started playing in a Warhammer 40k game... soon to start playing in a C&C game and plan to start DMing a C&C game with some of Monte's tweaks before the month is out.

I'll be buying the 4e core books but whether or not I get time to play with them is another question ;)

Greg K

Legend
Most definitely other.

When 4e was announced, I had high hopes as they were addressing several issues that I have with 3.x. However, Mike's monster redesign articles and the design and development articles started filling me with a sense of foreboding. Everything since then has pretty much confirmed that this is not the editon for me. The nail in the coffin was the information from the D&D experience.

I'm happy for those, who find this what they want to play. I wish them well well with it. As for myself, there are a few flavor and mechanical changes that I like, but overall, it is a horrid redesign, imo.

My hope now is that a third party will do the folloiwng for 3.x

1) Remove the non-biological aspects from the races

2) Introduce cultural backrgound that grant background skills and a few other abilities . The cultural packages could be mixed and matched with races to create combinations for a campaign.

3) Redesign the classes so that
a) the classes are talent and feat trees.
b) Classes do not provide automatic armor and weapon proficiencies
c) first level characters receive a set number of bonus feats from their initial class to be spent on class specific feats.
d) classes grant a one time save bonus to first level characters

4) have classes using the same save progression
5) include a good class based defense system

I can do pretty much everything else that I would have wanted from a 4e with existing WOTC and third party products including: d20Modern, Unearthed Arcana, Psychic's Handbook, Shaman's Handbook, Witch's Handbook, Book of Iron Might, Elements of Magic- Revised or Elements of Magic-Mythic Earth, Artificer's Handbook, Advanced Bestiary, Book of Templates and possibly the Book of Experimental Might

Then again, I may just switch to True20 when the revised edition comes out and continue playing in a friends Rolemaster campaign.

Last edited:

Severion

First Post
Definately "Other", i'll continue to run 3.0 with a few select 3.5 source books (like LoM and SandStorm), with the occasional foray into D20 Modern and older editions. 4e is not in my future, no money, no interest.

scourger

Explorer
Other. For D&D, I last used 3.0 (last year). I've given up even following any of the 4e news & previews. Other games hold more interest for me right now, particularly Savage Worlds. I also want to give 40KRP a try, and I've got a short Rifts game in mind, too (never thought I'd go back there, I can tell you). In truth, I just have less interest in actual gaming these days. I absolutely have less time to devote to preparation, which makes Savage Worlds a dream to run since it is so much easier. So, the forecast looks doubtful for 4e for me.

Remove ads