• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E or 3.5 or something else - what's in your future?

How are you planning on playing D&D after 4E is out?

• I'm going 4E all the way!

Votes: 61 20.9%
  • I'm going to play 3.x and 4E

Votes: 36 12.3%
  • I'm staying with 3.x, and may or may not use some 4E rules as house rules

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • Other (which I explain below in superior fashion)

Votes: 71 24.3%

Psion

Adventurer
I'd play 4e if a good friend was running. I won't run it, and I won't buy the books at this point unless I am actually considering playing (to do so would be rewarding the design team for ignoring me and those like me when making their design decisions.)

So, for my fantasy gaming needs it is either or both...
  • Modded 3.5; some 4e conventions I like sound cool, like defanging buffs to reduce reliance on them. But it occurs to me that the chief thing I am missing is a non-combat role for skill-weak characters. My in my head house-rules for this adds skill points to the fighters and expands character options for all player. But then, it occurs to me that a product is already in the works that does this, to wit...
  • FantasyCraft, the fantasy toolkit for spycraft. 3.5 underplays the skill system, and I like skill based play. It could end up being a perfect fit for me.

Of course, I'll still have my existing and developing non-fantasy gaming fixes, Spirit of the Century, Spycraft 2.0, Thousand Suns, and so forth.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Psion said:
Of course, I'll still have my existing and developing non-fantasy gaming fixes, Spirit of the Century, Spycraft 2.0, Thousand Suns, and so forth.

Yeah, there's still non fantasy rpgs as well. For that I have Mutants and Masterminds, d20 Modern and, when True20 revised comes out, that as well.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'll play 4e, once or maybe more, provided someone from the local crowds runs it. . . which doesn't look likely. Most have gone from unfriendly or indifferent to hostile or unfriendly, respectively, I would say. And I'm right there with them.

I'll be running Mutants & Masterminds for anything from medieval fantasy to space opera to modern espionage to historical horror. . . etc.

I have a feeling my commitment to the true faith will only become more entrenched and zealous in nature when 'Warriors & Warlocks' (an official fantasy supplement for M&M) comes out later this year.

Ah well, such is life. ;)

edit --- although. . . A Song of Ice & Fire might prove an interesting choice for gritty, political, kinda historical fantasy (but could be used for historical with ease, I suspect.) I'm really looking forward to seeing how this (apparently classless and level-less) system turns out.

Last edited:

Graybeard

Explorer
Our group (mostly) plans on staying with 3.5 for our games. One of the players wants us to switch to 4.0 when it comes out. We will most likely pick up the PHB and may or may not switch one or more of our games to those rules.

Gothmog

First Post
I'll buy the 4E books and give them a lookthrough- it can't be as bad as 3.5 for the feel of my games. I like a lot of the background material and flavor of 4E, but the system seems to be a little too high-powered from what I've seen. But even if I don't play 4E, I'll still be busy with WFRP2, Dark Heresy, and Savage Worlds. Between those three games, I have everything I'll ever need AND they fit my playstyle and GMing preferences much better than d20 based games do.

3.5 all the way just starting a new game, still have savage tide to finish up and then runeloads and plenty of other stuff still yet to do 4e just dosnt seem to fit the style of games i wish to run

Sunderstone

First Post

Nearing the end of HoHR in the AoW ap. My group's schedules are aligning quite nicely as of late resulting in weekly sessions (rather than our former biweekly).

I still have SC, ST, Runelords, Castle Whiterock, etc to run. I can also put together a few APs with Dungeon Magazines, as well as Necro and Goodman seperate modules.

Greylock

First Post
Other. My group switched to C&C over a year ago. The next campaign is almost certainly going to be science fiction based, using the upcoming C&C Star SIEGE rules combined with a boatload of older materials. That's still speculation at this point. If we weren't playing C&C, it's most likely that we'd turn to Rifts or the original Gamma World and such. For fantasy, C&C is the only thing we'll use.

GammaPaladin

First Post
I'm still at a loss to understand why anyone would feel a need to change over to a new system that won't have but a few books out. Won't you miss the mass of extra content you get with 3.5's current array of books?

Aus_Snow

First Post
GammaPaladin said:
I'm still at a loss to understand why anyone would feel a need to change over to a new system that won't have but a few books out. Won't you miss the mass of extra content you get with 3.5's current array of books?
No, they probably won't - assuming they even *own* a large section of that 'array of books'. Which most gamers probably don't. . .

And if they do miss them, they can either go back to 3e (or something else) or convert stuf from that (or something else) over to the 4e framework.

Just like it works in reverse, I imagine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads