• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Race Anti-Survivor

Which Races are most likely to stay in 4e?

• Human

Votes: 203 95.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 196 92.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 196 92.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 154 72.6%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 58 27.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 60 28.3%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 71 33.5%

• Poll closed .
As Korgoth says, it's not Halfling, but I question Korgoth's liking of a race that may not look like "ravekender" (rofl), but in fact doesn't look like ANYTHING. If it didn't say "Halfling cleric", most of us would think that was a slightly oddly proportioned HUMAN cleric. YAAAAAAAAAAAWN. Pointless races with no distinguishing characters beyond "short guy" for the lose.

It's going to half-elf and/or gnome, and possibly half-orc, but I dunno about that. It'd be nice if Half-Orc was turned into Orc. Kinda. Except I'd ban them from my campaigns. This isn't bloody WoW.

EricNoah said:
As much as it pains me, I think the gnome could go. I would prefer to keep the gnome and get rid of the halfling though...
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your website.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
They should ban none. Is there really such an economy of space in the books that they can't include all of them? Why not include them in the main book, instead of some near-future supplement?

Also, how exactly are races going to work? Is there still going to be the LA adjustment mess of before?

I think that gnomes, half-elves, and half-orcs may go. That stinks, because I like all of them. I wonder if gnomes may get rolled in with dwarves (since they have such common elements such as age range, bonuses to hit goblins, bonuses to avoid giant attacks, etc.).

I'd rather see half-elves and half-orcs be reinvented to stand well on their own alongside elves, dwarves, & the like, and still be in the main book.

However, this is wishful thinking on my part. I suspect that they're almost done with typesetting & editing the books, so what's in there is in there (esp. since it appears that Feb `08 will have a demo of the new game).

KingCrab

First Post
3.5 could have used a few more races in the PHB as far as I'm concerned (instead of tossing the options into the Monster Manuals). At least the ECL +0 options could have all been placed there.

Asmor

First Post
I think all the "whole" races are going to stay.

Definitely would like to see Half-elves and Half-orcs go. I hate the half-races. Plus, Tiefling fills the niche half-orc previously filled, i.e. the "renegade" race.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
EricNoah said:
As much as it pains me, I think the gnome could go. I would prefer to keep the gnome and get rid of the halfling though...

I wish I hadn't seen the picture of that runty halfling cleric

Enforcer

Explorer
Who didn't pick human, that's what I want to know... That one should read 100%.

I chose Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling. Any of the others could get the boot.

Korgoth

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
As Korgoth says, it's not Halfling, but I question Korgoth's liking of a race that may not look like "ravekender" (rofl), but in fact doesn't look like ANYTHING. If it didn't say "Halfling cleric", most of us would think that was a slightly oddly proportioned HUMAN cleric. YAAAAAAAAAAAWN. Pointless races with no distinguishing characters beyond "short guy" for the lose.

It's going to half-elf and/or gnome, and possibly half-orc, but I dunno about that. It'd be nice if Half-Orc was turned into Orc. Kinda. Except I'd ban them from my campaigns. This isn't bloody WoW.

I get you. Though I would point out that in Tolkien Hobbits are basically just short people, right? Being fat, rustic and living in holes are just lifestyle choices, aren't they? That's how I took it, anyway.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I'd much rather have full-blooded orcs than any-blooded tieflings as core races, gotta say. Campaign-specific races, no prob -- but core, no. I don't really want to see warforged as a core race, either, for the same reason. Too setting-specific.

-The Gneech :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads