• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Race Anti-Survivor

Which Races are most likely to stay in 4e?

• Human

Votes: 203 95.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 196 92.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 196 92.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 154 72.6%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 58 27.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 60 28.3%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 71 33.5%

• Poll closed .

Slaved

First Post
It would be easy to cut out all of the half races and then either have a blurb in the book about how to make half races or to put rules for creating half races in a later book.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I think it's the Half-Elf.

1. Half-Elf and Tiefling are both "almost human, slightly fey, likely a Bard" types.
2. You need a Brute; the Half-Orc stays.
3. Half-Elves are easily replaced with Humans that have a "Elven Heritage" Trait / Talent / Whatever.

My second guess is the Gnome.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Merging halflings and gnomes would solve the problems with both races.

*boggle*

I believe your garden door is banging... loudly. (What was the company with those creepy gnome commercials again?)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Half-Orc.

The brute has a definite place but the half-orc implies a violent non-good character. I bet the core books are a little more upbeat.

Keldryn

Adventurer
My guess is the gnome. I think in 20 years of gaming I've only ever seen one player make a gnome PC. Gnomes don't really feel different enough from dwarves and halflings to have a really distinct identity. Probably doesn't help that I started with B/X D&D where gnomes were not a playable class/race.

They just don't feel necessary to me, and kind of cross over with the dwarf and halfling races too much.

I could see half-elves and half-orcs getting cut and replaced with some sort of "elvish blood" or "orcish blood" traits or templates applied to humans. If they keep either or both, I hope they get a bit of a boost to make them more appealing. The half-orc in particular gets shafted badly in 3.x.

Glyfair

Explorer
Keldryn said:
Gnomes don't really feel different enough from dwarves and halflings to have a really distinct identity.
They do in Eberron. That's is why I think they are a good choice to make non-core and publish a 4E version elsewhere (the 4E Eberron update, the 4E Races of Stone, etc).

GreatLemur

Explorer
The_Gneech said:
I'd much rather have full-blooded orcs than any-blooded tieflings as core races, gotta say.
Yeah, I've gotta agree with this. I'd rather handle halfbreeds with bloodline feats or something vaguely equivalent. Better modularity, and more bang for your page count.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads