• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E respawning?

RigaMortus2

First Post
Eldorian said:
You complain about 4e seeming like WoW at high level, even when the mechanic you're complaining about also happened in epic 3e, and in 3e it wasn't like WoW? Seriously, stop complaining just to complain.

/sigh... See post above...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well when you consider that Daily is the most powerful kind of Power, that simply means well since it is your most powerful Power it can only be usable once-per-day compared to per-encounter or at-will.

So it is less, "yeah your going to die every day" and more "yeah this is your most powerful ability".

RigaMortus2

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Well when you consider that Daily is the most powerful kind of Power, that simply means well since it is your most powerful Power it can only be usable once-per-day compared to per-encounter or at-will.

So it is less, "yeah your going to die every day" and more "yeah this is your most powerful ability".

Until PHB2 introduces "weekly" powers ;)

babomb

First Post
mlund said:
Considering Epic Destinies end in Immortality and that in Epic Literature traveling back from the world of the dead is a staple of the Heroic Journey I really don't see the problem here.

Mort_Q said:
Tolkien did it first. :cool:

There's a huge difference in that Enkidu, Theseus, Gandalf, et al. returned from the dead ONCE, not once per day. I'm not saying I necessarily think this ability bad, but I don't think your argument is particularly applicable.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
hong said:
Isn't that a Frank Sinatra song?

I preferred Prince's version. :)

Seriously, the mechanic here is one I like. You strike down the Archmage - his soul leaves his body and continues fighting! It'll be great for the player the first time it happens, and it opens up so many plot hooks.

The villain strikes down the Wizards body and then escapes (or at least tries to) meaning the Wizard then has to use his astral form to aid his companions in regaining his body before hunting down the villain to exact his revenge! How does that not sound like an excellent idea for an adventure?

And that's just one power. :)

Bandreus

First Post
I never was a big fan of easy-ressing in DnD. Anyway I don't agree on ressing is MMORPGish, at all. In 3.x (and previous editions) you had so many ways to come back to life, including the quick and easy "go pay the cleric in the nearest church", it was infact hard to believe enyone in the world could actually dye once and for all.

What I'm most concerned about is the lack of any resurrection-penality in 4E. No CON lost, no negative levels (at least from what we heard from the devs). This is actually more of a trouble than any crazy-epic power, since it basicly means resurraction doesn't really have a cost, in the end. It was also said that "not everyone in the world is able to be resurrected, only the ones with a great destiny to fullfill", wich should be read as "only players and important NPCs".

I guess I'll have to house rule things, as I did with 3E, no great news here. But please, the concerns with dying in DnD are something wich really don't have nothing to spare with MMORPGs. You could even say dieing in DnD is videogamey, more generally, since the most of them basicly let you continue from the last save/check point everytime you die. I don't really think that's the point

The whole point of the tiers is that they feel very different from each other and support different stories.
Epic Tier "Respawning" definitely will make it feel very different from Heroic Tier, where resurrection seems nearly impossible to get by.

I never liked that D&D (at least in 3E) seemed to rely on people regularly being raised from the dead, thanks to all the save or die effects or monsters capable of dealing enough damage to kill you in one and a half rounds. Death was more an annoyance then something meaningful.

But this feels very different - it is the EPIC TIER. Whatever happens there, it better seems outrageous and over-the-top. As long as I feel that there is a significant difference to the lower tiers. And the effect isn't just "cast a spell and get back" - you become an astral spirit-thingy. Your death changes you, even if only for a short time.

Remove ads