• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Rulebook for DDM is up!

RigaMortus2

First Post
inkmonkeys said:
What?! You mean counting 1, 2-3, 4, 5-6 wasn't your favorite part of the game?

Yeah, because that is sooo difficult and sooo confusing. Was it really that bad for most people to keep track of? I think this is an aspect I won't want to change for 4E. Doesn't SW: Saga use a flat 2 squares per diaganol move? Wonder why they didn't at least adopt that?

Sadrik

First Post
Necrotic damage type. pg. 23

Multiple attacks are now called followups and they only get a followup if they hit with the first one. pg. 23

Festivus

First Post
Simplicity said:
Wow there's a lot of stuff in there.

Initiative every round. And the initiative winner chooses who goes first?
Surely the later isn't in D&D core. But are we going back to init every round now
for core rules? 3e got rid of that... I'm not too happy to see it's return...

That was how it was in DDM 1.0 also. Reroll init every round. Doubt it would be the same in core.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
Yeah, because that is sooo difficult and sooo confusing. Was it really that bad for most people to keep track of? I think this is an aspect I won't want to change for 4E. Doesn't SW: Saga use a flat 2 squares per diaganol move? Wonder why they didn't at least adopt that?

I have players that have trouble remembering to count 1,2,1,2 every time. And they're not stupid, it's just something they don't care to think about...they want to think about what their character is doing, and what that orc over there is up to, etc. They're excited to be playing and not interesting in precise movement. They're not very hardcore gamers and could be considered the opposite of rules lawyers.

When I have players that are interested in keeping track of it, they prefer to use a tape measure anyway. They find it faster than counting, and more flexible. I always count 1,2,1,2 out of habit, but I'd be ok with diagonal moves only counting as 1. Seems like a small concession to speed things up a bit.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
Looks like saving throws are in but vastly different. Instead of a percentage dice you roll a d20. 1 to 10 you still have it 1 to 19 you're safe and 20 everyone is cleared of it. Very interesting.

I can see a lot of people confusing this roll with defense. I also can't believe that there is no bonus added to that. It seems very random to me.

I've wondered about saving throws in 4e... with Ref/Fort/Will becoming defenses I was thinking they'd be gone, and I found myself missing them. I like the new defenses, but I've always thought the tension over whether someone was going to make or fail a saving throw is a fun part of the game. Perhaps it's not dead yet.

Sadrik

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Yay! It used to be such a pain to keep track of that stuff.
Already found an exception :\ concealment modifiers do not stack only take the highest. Makes sense why though ;) . Temporary HP also don't stack...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads