• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Rulebook for DDM is up!

Khaim

First Post
erf_beto said:
Also, loved the way they folded Fort/Ref/Will into one single Defense: each mini has only one Defense score, but each attack describes wich Defense it targets (like 'vs DEF(Fort)'), and some creatures have abilities that give them bonuses to Defense against Fort, Ref or Will attacks. (ex: the 'Reflexy Rogue' mini has an ability that gives him DEF+5 against attacks vs DEF(Ref). Nice, allows customization without adding too many stats into the card. :D

I like that "Saving Throws" are still around, even if they're in vastly reduced numbers. That is, I like the attack vs Defense thing for spells, poisons, etc. But sometimes, it really should be the character trying to save himself. Enchantment spells are the best example of this: while the initial compulsion could easily be an attack, trying to free your mind from said compulsion should not be represented by another attack roll.

On the other hand, I don't like the 50/50 thing for the RPG, and I hope that the RPG rules will do something like reverse-engineering a saving throw a la 3e. For the minis, 50/50 works fine.

On a related note, check out the rules for pushing people into pits. It's incredibly simple, and I think it'd actually work well in the RPG. Bull rush can just be replaced with a specialized attack that moves the target X squares, and then the rules for pushing enemies off of things becomes as simple as "make two attack rolls, you need to hit both".

For the lazy among you, the rule is: If an effect would move an enemy into a pit square, make a second attack roll using the same bonus and targeting the same defense (or AC). If that attack hits, the figure is removed (i.e. falls in; for minis that means dead). If it misses, the figure stops on the edge of the pit and the rest of the movement effect is wasted. Things that don't use attack rolls can't push figures into pits; they always stop at the edge.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
I've tried this PDF on two different computers and it's one of the slowest I've ever used. Is it working better on another reader besides Adobe?

frankthedm

First Post
Khaim said:
On a related note, check out the rules for pushing people into pits. It's incredibly simple, and I think it'd actually work well in the RPG. Bull rush can just be replaced with a specialized attack that moves the target X squares, and then the rules for pushing enemies off of things becomes as simple as "make two attack rolls, you need to hit both".

For the lazy among you, the rule is: If an effect would move an enemy into a pit square, make a second attack roll using the same bonus and targeting the same defense (or AC). If that attack hits, the figure is removed (i.e. falls in; for minis that means dead). If it misses, the figure stops on the edge of the pit and the rest of the movement effect is wasted. Things that don't use attack rolls can't push figures into pits; they always stop at the edge.
I bet that is a "DDM only" rule. There may be ways for someone to save themself by grabbing a ledge, but the "Roll twice to pit someone" looks like a simplification for the minis game to protect high point value pieces from the simplifaction of fall in and die.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
frankthedm said:
I bet that is a "DDM only" rule. There may be ways for someone to save themself by grabbing a ledge, but the "Roll twice to pit someone" looks like a simplification for the minis game.
Indeed, it's more complex than it was in DDM 1E. Before if you moved them into a pit the figure were gone (I believe, I didn't play very much).

Stalker0

Legend
Destil said:
Note that our elf preview mentioned that they can shift into difficult terrain without penalty. So I think that it's a pretty good bet that you, in fact, can not shift into difficult terrain normally.

The 1-square move is NOT a shift. It provokes opportunity attacks just like any normal move.

In fact, this is a commonly overlooked rule in 3.x. If you are in rough terrain, you CANNOT take 5 foot steps. You have to move normally, provoking AOOs and so forth.

Stalker0

Legend
An interesting read, but I doubt a lot of will translate into 4e.

There's one saving throw in this game because there are no stats and magic to modify them, so its quick and easy. I'm certain there will still be 3 saves in 4e.

Initiative will still be rolled once per combat. A minis game is very quick and fast, make initiative easy. Dnd is a lot more complex. Further, you will likely still get to add your dex mod to initiative checks (and if it works like saga, half your level as well).

I do like how they right the conditions, those are pretty nice and straightforward.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads