• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4e]THE MONTH OF MONSTERS: One D&D 4e monster every day in October, for free!

catastrophic

First Post
A MONTH OF MONSTERS
Welcome to my thread. Every day this month, i'm going to be writing up and uploading a brand new 4e monster which will be available for free download.

There won't be any art for the monsters, but each will have detailed descriptions and notes on Lore and Tactics. Each monster will only have one build, although I might do up a few related monsters over time when it makes sense to. The monsters will represent the normal D&D variety of creatures and types, but none will be based on existing generic concepts, like orcs, dragons, ect.

I'll be doing 1 monster of every level, starting on day one with a level 1 monster, day 2 with a level 30 monster, and working both ways across the tiers. All the monsters will be standards to maximise their applicability to encounters, and on the last day I'll do something special. I'll also try for a somewhat equal share of roles. The monsters will be relatively conventional, although there will be some special rules and variants, especially for soldiers and lurkers, which I feel function best with strong and unique core mechanics.

I'm doing this for a few reasons, but it's mostly just an exercise, of the sort that is sometimes done by writers. I want to see what kind of ideas and character designs I come up with when put under a consistent deadline. I won't be planning any monsters in advance- I have a couple of monster names but that's about it. That said, I'm pretty confident that the monsters will be worth a look, so please do check back with the thread from time to time if you're interested in monster design.

Discussion of the monsters, or monster design in general, is welcome.

You can also follow me on twitter where i'll announce each release and post some notes, but I'll be bumping these threads with each new monster and updating the OP with links, as well.

Here we go with day one: The springheel slayer!

Day One: a level one Skirmisher, the Springheel Slayer Download Here
Day Two, a level thirty Brute, the Nuul Timesmasher Download Here
Day Three, a level three Artillery, the Lefenti Lasher Download Here
Day Four, a level 28 controller, the Prophecy Unbound Download Here
Day Five, a level 5 soldier, the Kinetic Ooze Download Here
Day Seven is a level 7 skirmisher, the Drop Bear Download Here
Day Eight, is a level 24 brute, the Graalak Survivor Download here
Day Nine is a level 9 Artillery, Talvus Wandslinger Download Here
Day Eleven is a level 11 soldier, the Khazarak Grudge-Keeper Download Here
Day Twelve is a level 22 lurker, the Doomsteed Download Here
Day Thirteen is a level 13 skirmisher, the Xath Harbinger Download Here
Day Fourteen is a level 18 Brute, the Banemaw Devourer Download Here
Day Fifteen is a level 15 Artillery, the Clockwork Trebuchet Download Here
Day Sixteen is a level 16 Controler, Hordeling Stampede Download Here
Day Seventeen is a level 17 Soldier, the Bloodkin Agitant Download Here
Day Eighteen is a level 14 Lurker, the Chromatic Breach Download Here
Day Ninteen is a level 19 Skirmisher, the Redroot Seedspear Download Here
Day Twenty is a level 12 Brute, the Revenant Demolisher Download Here
Day Twenty-One is a level 21 Artillery, the Unity Echoer Download Here
Day Twenty-Two is a level 10 Controller, the Disastermancer Download Here
Day Twenty-Three is a level 23 Soldier, the Six Fisted Fiend Download Here
Day Twenty-Four is a level 8 Lurker, the Glipling Skyship Download Here
Day Twenty-Five is a level 25 Skirmisher, the Chronarch Aeonblade Download Here
Day Twenty-Six is a level 6 Brute, Durgath Redbeard Download Here
Day Twenty-Seven is a level 27 Artillery, The Grim Huntress Download Here
Day Twenty-Eight is a level 4 Controller, The Lumbering Grazer Download Here
Day Twenty-Nine is a level 29 Soldier, the Supernal Raptor Download Here
Bonus Monster! Taking the official day 10 slot after I used it for a request, this is a level 22 controller, the Impalisader
Download Here

Day Thirty is a level 2 Lurker, the Sinister Eyebat, a level 2 lurker.
Download Here
Again, sorry for the brevity, but I'm still a bit under the weather, and I had to get 2 monsters done today, and the eyebat is very much a mustery for the GM to answer, as oppsed to a story for me to tell.

That's all 30 standard monsters done. Check the end of the thread for a post about what i'l be doing next!

Please note, day 10 was a request, and i'll be doing another monster of the same level/role later in the week as a bonus.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Looks like an interesting critter. Well done!

I have only two suggestions.

1. Crosshook Tear would be more clear if written like this:
Crosshook Tear said:
Hit: 2d10+3 damage.
Miss: The target is grabbed, and the springhook slayer grants combat
advantage as long as the grab continues.

2. Hookspring Pull is worded in a really fiddly manner. I would simplify it in order to make the creature take less time to run. Just give them a shift 2 instead of having a condition for the extra square of shift. Consider dropping the requirement of combat advantage for the slide. If you're going to keep it, make it a triggered action. If/when conditions are easier to run if they're located there instead of cluttering up "hit" entry text.

Other than that, I like the flavour and concept. I like that they're fragile but quick, and how this is reflected in the mechanics. To further emphasize the differentiation between the construct and undead versions, I might give the undead version +2 Fortitude and the Construct +2 Reflex.

Scribble

First Post
Any chance you could move the GSL logo thingy to be with the other thing at the end? (Dunno if that's a GSL demand thing though)

It feels jarring to me where it is... But it's not that big a deal so don't go out of your way for it. :D

catastrophic

First Post
The GSL specifies lower left quadrant, and i'm pretty sure I have to include it- I was tempted to leave the trade dress out, and just have the copyright notice, but I don't think that's an option. I'd make it smaller but again, it is supposedly meant to be used full size, or close to it.

Scribble

First Post
The GSL specifies lower left quadrant, and i'm pretty sure I have to include it- I was tempted to leave the trade dress out, and just have the copyright notice, but I don't think that's an option. I'd make it smaller but again, it is supposedly meant to be used full size, or close to it.

No worries then! :D

jester_gl

First Post
Just my 2 cents.

I too would simplify the at-will attack. Probably by removing the "or 2 if they remains adjacent to the target." This would also prevent question about what happens if I want to slide it after, can I slide it in any of the 2 square I left?

A crit from this level 1 skirmisher does 35 damage, with an average of 21 damage. That seems a little high.

What happens after the fly if he's still in the air. All power of this kind tells you if you must finish on a surface of something. Also since they have a climb speed I would specify that they must finish that move on the ground or next to a vertical surface or fall.

Minor nitpick: correct hp for his Con should be 28. Also I would give him +1 Ref but -1 Will.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Another interesting concept. I don't have enough grasp of epic level play to offer any meaningful commentary on this one though, as I haven't played or run epic under 4e.

Also, have to say that I lol'd at Catastrophe Games' byline. Heh, beatings. :)

Remove ads