[4e] The Wolfcrown, Chapter 1

The Wolfcrown Campaign
Chapter 1: The Accused

[sblock=Message from the DM]Welcome, friends! This is the beginning of what I hope will be a long and exciting campaign. Let's all have fun with this, and we'll tell a great story together.[/sblock]

[sblock=fyi]I'm pretty conservative when it comes to handing out action points, allowing you to start each day with one, and rarely giving away more than that one. You still use it normally, but when you do, I'll also award some other exciting benefit (like double-damage on the attack, knocking the enemy prone, or the like) depending on the situation.[/sblock]

Morning light shines through the high windows of the courthouse in the center of Black Lake Proper. The barrister paces the marble-floored courtroom. The manacles around your wrists chafe your skin. The links in the chains that bind you together murmur with each movement you make. The barrister, a gawky, prudish human, clears his throat.

“You have been brought here to stand trial as suspects in the murder of our king: Lord Damarch Hood. Before the prosecution presents its evidence, have you anything to say in your own defenses?”

The room is hushed, and each face in the crowd watches you suspiciously – anxiously – for an answer. The judge, an ancient, dark-faced tiefling, sits menacingly in his high podium. The barrister stares at each of you in turn.

[sblock=ooc]This is your first day of trial. From here, you may choose whether to answer the barrister’s question. Additionally, you may attempt a skill-check related to your reply to gain extra credibility.[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Torath, human Paladin

The young man standing with his head high takes a deep breath before speaking. "My lords, I am Torath of the Isles and servant of The Four. I wish everyone to know that as the Great Gods as my witnesses I am not quilty of any crime. Bring forth this evidence so I may know who has falsely accused me."

His dark hair cut in the military style of Blackmoor warriors Torath scans the crowd with a look that defies anyone to say ill against him.

[sblock=OOC]
Diplomacy 14 [/sblock]

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Before long Doren Kar, the tall and distinguished priest of Blackmoor, stands before the court given his turn to speak and does so calmly with steadfast whit and conviction...

"Given the severity of this accusation at hand and my position with the law and as a citizen in good standing I state before you all that I am certainly innocent and not able or willing to commit a crime such as this. Believing I could be part of a cabal to fell the late and great king is asinine and I hereby request to have my name cleared of such charges." stated the rather verbose priest and used his skill in diplomacy to his full advantage.

[sblock=Diplomacy Check]1d20+6 = 21 (Diplomacy)[/sblock]

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
"'Tweren't me," the dwarf, Baern Stoneheart, says simply. "Th' blood on me axe were from the giant vermin I met a'fore I even got here, and the squashed up bug-bodies is still out there bakin' in th' sun to prove it!" Taking a breath, Baern catches himself, and tries to calm down.

"I be a servant of Blackmoor! I ain't about killin' those that ain't fit to fight a fair fight"

[sblock=Diplomacy Check]1d20-1=14[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Though she didn't want to be obvious about it, Thorn had subtly worked elements of pathos into her appearance this day. Her body and arms were slimmer, bordering on pathetically skinny. Her skin paler, with dark circles under her eyes as of one who hasn't slept. Her hair was a few tones lighter in shade so as not to seem black and sinister. Nothing that a guard could point to and start complaining of shapeshifting...but enough to give herself a feel of smallness and helplessness.

She lifted her face when addressed, and spoke in a voice that trembled just a little, as of someone almost too weak to stand.

"I came to this land seeking refuge...a new life. I came to escape violence, not to deal it. If I had met the King, it would have been only to swear allegience to him." She took a deep, shaky breath.

Inwardly she sighed to herself. Oh, the hoops we leap through to convince people of the truth.

(Bluff: 22)
Roll Lookup

Phaezen

First Post
Squeal, Warforged Barbarian

The rusted and dented warforged standing before the court looks around, somewhat fascinated and bewildered by proceedings. He listens to his fellow accused speak.

"This one is certain that it is not guilty of the act that it is being accused of. If it wants to fight, it goes to the arena. Also, it has not seen these other beings before."

[sblock=ooc]
Diplomacy = 14
[/sblock]

yzard

First Post
Looking around at the crowd gathered within the courtroom, Thom considered his situation while a slim, tired looking female prisoner addressed the court.

- Obviously a setup, he thought. I don't even know these others! In fact, our unfamiliarity with each other shouldn't be hard to spot...

This line of reasoning worried him. If it should be easy to prove that he knew none of these people...perhaps this meant that someone had no intention of letting their defense get that far? If so, that meant he needed to act quickly before justice was 'served'.

The warforged was speaking now...Thom leaned over and whispered to the paladin, "Perhaps this play has already been written? Any thoughts as to what recourse we might have if our sentence has already been decided?"

Looking through the faces of the crowd, and the people serving the city, Thom tried to spot anyone he might know. And wracked his brain as to what might be going on.

[sblock=OOC]
Thom rolls a History check, using as context the fact that he was raised here and his father was an accountant to businesses and royalty alike...perhaps he might have some inkling of what might be going on?

History result: 23
[/sblock]

Thom recognizes a few of the figures in the crowd:
The judge's name is Mar Zephyr. He has a reputation as a generally fair, although taciturn, agent of Blackmoor's will.

The barrister is Bray Trite. An up-and-coming political star, he's Black Lake's most prominent lawyer. Although he is rather popular, many see him as one whose scruples can be bent.

In the witness box are an old, hulking dragonborn and a sprightly female gnome.

The dragonborn is Captain Scultone, the chief military advisor of the late king. He is widely regarded as an extremely honorable and just warrior, and has served the kingdom for many years.

The gnome is Libra Kell, the local apothecary, who has been known to act as a coroner in criminal cases.

Thom's knowledge of the court system reveals that this is indeed a legitimate trial, although this is an unusual number of suspects to be tried at once. As far as he knows, there has never been a case with such a high profile.

The barrister, Bray Trite, seems to relax a bit in response to your replies.

"The court will now ask, then, where you were last night between sunset and sunrise. After your depositions, the prosecution will present its evidence."

[sblock=ooc]You may make another skill check, if you like, and then we'll proceed with the trial.[/sblock]

Rathan

First Post
Doren Kar turns his head once to his left.. then to his right looking over the others in question carefully before speaking with purpose....

"If it pleases the court I would ask the city log records of barracks 31 be checked for my signature. I was in attendance during our daily meeting to go over the rampant lawlessness of the district, then following that I was briefed on the days missions and sent off with a patrol as adviser as per normal. I sighed back out at the end of my shift 7 hours later." the priest stated factually before returning to his seated position on the 'board' of suspects....

[sblock=ooc] I just pulled the number of the barracks from the hip DF... if you need me to change it.... let me know.... also making a second diplomacy check and an insight check.. the insight it to tell weather or not he's making a convincing argument for himself based on everyones reactions around him....[/sblock]

[sblock=Diplomacy Cont./Insight]1d20+6 = 17 (Diplomacy) 1d20+8 = 16 (Insight)[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Torath answers the question put to him with a silent shake of his head,and then whispers, "The Four will see that any injustice is not done."

Then he turns his attention to the barrister as he again starts to speak. Torath focuses on the man's tone, movements, and making eye contact with the man he gets a sense of...

[sblock=Insight]
Left it blank but my Insight roll is a whomping 27 figured he had to "feel" something ;) [/sblock]

"I came to this city for the first time yesterday, on a pilgrimage from the isles near holy Imperia. I was at Blackmoor's Haven last night, as the authorities well know for that is where they arrested me."

[sblock=Diplomacy]
Good at a 20 but not great. Do you get target numbers and know how many times you can fail at a skill challenge or is that DM only knowledge? [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads