[4e] The Wolfcrown, Chapter 1

[sblock=Arcana check 15 or better]A phylactery is a magical artifact used as a repository for souls. Extremely powerful mages have sometimes used phylacteries to turn themselves into liches.[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
[sblock=Arcana]1d20+7=25[/sblock]"We best be off to his house then," Baern states calmly. Maybe too calmly, given the circumstances. "Might'n be we'll have to dig up the lad's broken body and set a priest to talkin' to his bones to find out the real truth, but we should see what we see at his house first."

Rathan

First Post
Doren shakes his head softly as he looks to the rest of those gather with him and shakes his head...

"What would Thomas be doing with something as devilish as an undeads Phylactery?"

Doren had little idea of what was going on here and behind it was more than likely a plan that not even his mind could comprehend at the moment. He reached down as he watched Teach pass before him on the floor his hand reached down and rough fingers closed the lids of his eyes slowly as he said a bit of a prayer for him and stood.

"Judge... he's gone. We need the help of the court and the law here in our favor if we are going to figure this giant mess out. Will you grant myself and my companions the resources needed within the city walls to get this sorted out?" Doren said softly as he was trying to keep his growing anger of the situation at hand within controllable levels within his mind.

Phaezen

First Post
Squeal nods at Torath

"This one feels time might be of the essence in this situation. This one also thinks it and it's companions should fetch their equipment before investigating further"

The warforged moves towards the exit of the court room, then stops and turns to the judge "This one will return here with it's companions once it has retrieved it's equipment. This one would appreciate it if that one could make sure the necessary permissions are granted for this one and it's companions to search Thomas' dwelling"

Shayuri

First Post
Thorn stands there, quiet and motionless, her face set in a grim lack of emotion.

Finally she nods.

"Thomas is the last lead we have," she says. "Our best hope is that we get there before whatever clues might remain are spirited away like everything else. Come on!"

And she's moving, twisting fluidly to avoid bumping into anyone as she makes her way for the door and then to Thomas' house.

As you leave, Captain Scultone leads you to the storage room where your supplies have been placed. You have an opportunity to arm yourselves with your own gear. In the corner of the room, you notice a small coffer.

Captain Scultone motions toward the box and mutters, "In case of emergency. Take it if you need."

[sblock=Contents of the box]A set of 14 matching gems worth 14,000 gold pieces (total).[/sblock]

He looks at each of you in turn.

"My friends, you've got the methods and the means to uncover the mystery. Lord Hood was my master. If you find the...(he seems choked with emotion)...the killer, be brave. Justice has a way of forcing itself upon the unjust."

---

You arrive at Thomas' house at midday. The guards posted at the door stand down when they see you approach.

"No one's been in or out. Quiet as a coffin, sirs."

When you enter, it's clear that the house has been disturbed. A low table has been thrust to one side, a pair of chairs has been smashed to splinters, and the drawers of Thomas' desk have been yanked open.

On the desk, a textbook entitled, "On Lichdom," sits open to a page written in a runic cypher. Dangling from one of the drawers of the desk is a gold pocketwatch, which has long since stopped ticking. The back of it is inscribed, "To my son, Thomas. The word is hours." A painting on the wall portrays a wavewracked cliff with a tall lighthouse towering over it.
[sblock=Skill Checks]
[sblock=Perception/Insight 10]There is a thick layer of dust, even on the upturned chairs and table. The events that caused the disarray must have happened at least a few weeks ago.[sblock=Perception 15]A note has been scrawled into the margin on a seemingly random page of the textbook: "Look at it from my point of view."[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Arcana 15]Two items in the room emit powerful magical signals. The textbook on the desk and the gold pocketwatch both radiate intense energies toward the magically inclined.[/sblock][/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Torath walks slowly around the room, more to finish setting his armor in place than any real need to be looking around. He feels a tug at him, not from the outside but more of a pull on the inside, a tug at his senses.

He keeps walking as others look at various things and items about the room. They probably think he is pacing from the back and forth way he moves but really Torath is trying to feel this pull out. Where is it coming from, it is almost to small to tell. But the holy warrior knows it is there.

[sblock=OOC] skill check: 15
Think you should have said Arcana trained only but this is a great time to start feeling some of Ayur's blessings that will be where I start leaning these next few levels. And will have Arcana trained soon. [/sblock]

Rathan

First Post
Doren shakes his head softly as he looks about the items about of note...

"Oh Thomas... why my friend? You were meant for better things. Blackmoor please forgive his transgressions and watch over him in the afterlife." Doren said as he looked about at this incrimination evidence.

[sblock=Skill Checks]Insight Check (1d10+10=17), Arcana Check (Unskilled) (1d10+3=13)[/sblock]

Doren sighed softly as he looked down at the tome before him and as he went to turn away something catches his eye.

"Look at it from my point of view." Doren reads as he brow raises. "I wonder who's point of view Thomas was told to take into account?" Doren commented as he picked the tome up to examine it more closely...

As Doren studies the text, he notices that the layout of the room is a slightly strange one. Thomas' desk sits at an unusual angle, so that it faces only a wall (the wall with the painting of the cliff on it). It is as if the desk was situated so that someone working at the desk would always have a clear view of the wall.

Last edited:

Remove ads